cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Real Reason PN Stopped YSWP

N/A

New Ofcom rules could see PN stung if they didn't take them down. From the BBC:

The process of moving to a new broadband supplier in the UK should get easier this week.

On 14 February new rules come into force which change the way that all the UK's broadband providers handle the process of switching suppliers.

The rules stop broadband firms charging customers for switching and try to remove other barriers to the process.

Net firms that put obstacles in the way of customers keen to switch could face heavy fines from regulator Ofcom.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6359363.stm

I want my fees waived ASAP - otherwise I'm willing to test this change of Ofcom regs to the max.
14 REPLIES
___oDiN__
Grafter

plusnet dont charge you to move
any fees are deffered fees for activation/modem ect which u agree to be deferred during signup.
N/A

The fees are nothing to do with switching.

Thet are deferred activation and hardware costs.
Mand
Grafter

Hi

The new OFCOM regulations will not affect the way YSWP actually works, they just mean that a MAC will need to be issued, and any disputes re charges etc will need to go through the official channels.

If you signed up for deferred activation and hardware this will still stand.
sam
Grafter

Hi ashiro,

As advised by odinsrealm and paddyclark, defered fees have nothing to do with migrating.

What we now have to do is provide the migration code within 5 days of the request, this does not mean that we will be waiving the 30 days notice period or removing the defered fees on accounts.

The latest information on the scrapping of defered fees, for customers who have been with us for over 12 months, is that this will be implemented in mid to late March. As soon as there is a firm date, this will be communicated to all customers.
N/A

Hi ashiro,

As already mentioned above by a number of people and a couple of staff from PlusNet, your deferred fee's arent nothing to do with a migrating fee. You will still be free to move. But if you do move please dont think that you can simply forgett about the fee's. I dare say that you would encounter reminders and a final reminder before a suitable cause of action is taken. For example a debt recovery company may be used to recover the debt or you may even be asked to attend court.

I thought I would just mention this to you before anything happened that you would then be caught out by.

Regards,
avalon
Grafter

And Plusnet can add the total cost of the debt recovery to what you owe.
N/A

Re: The Real Reason PN Stopped YSWP

I want my fees waived ASAP - otherwise I'm willing to test this change of Ofcom regs to the max.

It's not just plusnet that are saying the YSWP fees still have to be paid. From ThinkBroadband:

The key points of the new compulsory General Condition 22 are shown below:

Where a customer requests a MAC inside their minimum contract period the customer will still be liable for any contractual obligations - their emphasis - (e.g. charges for any minimum contract periods, etc.)

Plusnet have said they'll be waiving these fees for anyone who has been with them for longer than 12 months soon. My advice, for all that it's worth - stick it out until they do or pay up and leave for what will presumably be a better service.
N/A

Absolutely fantastic.
N/A

removing defered fees

I'm suffering a similar situation. I want to move ISP, and suddely was informed I had to pay PN £67 in order to be given a MAC code. I only signed up to Plusnet as they were offing free connection and modem - clearly this wasn't free at all.

Very pleased to hear that PN are to be waiving these fees in March for customers who have been with them over 12 months. It would be rather insulting to existing customers if they didn't as the PN homepage is offering this deal to new customers.
sam
Grafter

Hi dispirito,

It is relatively easy for us to offer this to new customers as the defered componant can be added for 12 months during signup.

It is a lot more difficult for us to offer this to existing customers due to the amount of development work required, this is why we are not offering the removal of defered fees for existing customers until next month.
N/A

Interesting that you take the view of your processes based on what is best for PN - rather than what is best for your loyal customers. Surely what is best for your new cutomers, is also best for your existing customers - and ULTIMATELY what is best for PNHuh

As an existing loyal customer of 2 years - I now find PN is no longer offering a competitive service - in content of package or price. I want to leave - no let me reword that - I don't actually want to leave, but my offer to PN to product and price match has been declined so I have no choice but to move ISP.

I have given notice, and as this takes me into mid March, so can I assume that fees that have been demanded of me will be removed then?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

It's not about us choosing to wait until March to remove these, there is a significant amount of work required, which has to be built into the developers' workload. This will be completed as soon as we possibly can.

Anyone who requests a MAC before the fees are waived will be asked to make any payments currently on their account.

The details regarding our new products/pricing will be released over the next couple of weeks, it's possible that one of the new packages may suit you better.
N/A

I asked for my MAC code today and have been told that i need to pay my defered fee of £47. Also included in this email from plusnet was this:

"Before you move heres a few reasons to stay with us:

- Coverage: Our prices arent based on the exchange you are connected to, or where you live. Sky will charge you £17 if youre not on one of the exchanges where their equipment is fitted. Currently, Sky equipment is only in 28% of the UKs exchanges.

- UK based support: Our Support Team is based entirely in Sheffield, whereas Sky is using outsourced technical support in India. We feel ours offers more personal and localised support.

- Flexible contract periods: We offer a variety of contracts, from monthly and annual, to our "you stay, we pay" offer (where your cancellation fee is reduced the longer you stay as a customer). Sky only offers a 12 month contract - this also extends your contract for Sky TV by an additional 12 months.

- "Hard" usage allowances: We only limit usage allowances during peak times (4pm to midnight). There is no limit on how much traffic you use during off-peak times. Sky’s 2 lower products have fixed data usage allowances, with no difference between peak and off-peak times.

- Referral based: We have always based our signups on referrals and don't spend large amounts of money on advertising. If we get new customers, it's usually because of our current customers telling friends and family about the good service they receive. Sky are throwing large amounts of money at advertising to try and tempt customers, without any thought of word of mouth.

- New customers only?: Many companies, Sky included, often offer great deals to new customers only. All of our special offers are available to both existing and new customers.

- Home Phone: Our new Home Phone service lets you to pay us, instead of BT for your phone calls and line rental. This also gives you the convenience of only getting one monthly bill for both your Home Phone and broadband. For more information visit http://www.plus.net/residential/phonecalls/home/index.shtml?wlr=homephonelink_phonecallspage

- Simple requirements: All you need to get PlusNet broadband is a BT telephone line. However, with Sky you must subscribe to one of their, often expensive, television packages.

We hope this information is useful, and that it helps you to decide whether you still want to move your broadband service."

Note that part that says ALL our offers to both existing and new customers, so why do i need to pay the fee even though i have been here over 12 months. Evil

gav
N/A

Mand has explained that already!

It's not about us choosing to wait until March to remove these, there is a significant amount of work required, which has to be built into the developers' workload. This will be completed as soon as we possibly can.

They can offer it to new customers, because it still allows them up to 12mths to complete the work before any of the new folks could take advantage of it.