cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Plusnet SCAM...

N/A

The Plusnet SCAM...

I notice many of us have fallen for the scams devised by Plusnet, in particular the 'monthly contract' and 'free modem' scam.

1)The modem is offered as 'free', but in fact costs £25 when you try to leave. This is also advertised as 'free' on other sites advertising the offer - such as Uswitch (which states "modem included in the product".
2) Judging by the forum, it is more beneficial to be on the yearly contract than the monthly one. To leave the monthly one will cost you a minimum of £72! The monthly contract is just a deceptive temptation to attract you in, then Plusnet will hit you with hidden costs. Evil

I have now had a chat with Uswitch and told them what is happening. When I told him the price of leaving a monthly contract, he called it 'disgusting'. We all agree.
I have also complained about the 92% rating on Uswitch which can't be adjusted by votes, yet is pulling more naive customers in to this corrupt company. I informed him the approval rate is really around 60% nowadays for Plusnet's 'service'. He promised to investigate and make changes. I also explained that my father's business chum actually founded Uswitch and if there was no adjustment to the rating, my next option is to speak directly to the big man. He said it shouldn't be necessary.
Uswitch have asked me to tell as many people as possible to complain. They cannot drop the approval rating down to realistic level while we're not bothering to complain!! Most people join via Uswitch so it would have an enormous effect on their business.
It doesn't take long to ring them and the number is on the website. It is our consumer duty to warn others...so do it!

I will now be spending a few hours posting this all over the internet, such as the ADSL guide. If other victims did the same, you will feel much better. Get those complaints in...
As the king said in Lord of the Rings:"Bring them down!...bring them down!"

Uswitch tel: 0845 601 2856. :idea:

This isn't the only gripe from my point of view, but this is something affecting many of us.
40 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The Plusnet SCAM...

The modem is free if you stay with plusnet for around 6 years I think, its in the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you joined PN and took the modem offer

Its part of the "you stay, we pay" offer.
Alecto
Grafter

The Plusnet SCAM...

Some people seem to think Plusnet should be a charity rather than a business.
I find the OP's view amazing, and wonder where else he goes to get something for nothing.

And I also think the mods should be a little more rigorous in what they allow to be posted under Community Support.
If the OP wishes to post this stuff under General Chitchat, then that's fine.
But it neither asks for nor gives Community Support.
Community Veteran

The Plusnet SCAM...

Quite agree Geoff, these kind of posts are getting very tiring and boring now!
N/A

The Plusnet SCAM...

We all know that in any kind of business you dont get something for nothing. I always thought it was quite clear that if you took advantage of free modem and free connection at the time of sign up that you had to stay for so long to pay off the cost of that provision. Other companies tie you in to an 18 month contract and also say they are giving you things for nothing but it could be much more expensive to leave them early than having to pay for your modem and connection. I dont think there is any ISP who would sign you up to a monthly contact and give you a modem and connection and allow you to leave after 1 month. Go on I know someone will prove me wrongSmiley
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

The Plusnet SCAM...

Some people seem to think Plusnet should be a charity rather than a business.
I find the OP's view amazing, and wonder where else he goes to get something for nothing.

Sadly there seems to be a lot of this about. People don't read the terms properly, and want to blame everyone but themselves when they haven't checked it out properly in the first place!!!

When an ISP arrives that does everything gratis, I guess those same people will be moaning when the ISP goes out of business and leaves them without a connection.

And I also think the mods should be a little more rigorous in what they allow to be posted under Community Support.

I would also suggest that some of what is posted it verging on libel!

Neil
Community Veteran

Re: The Plusnet SCAM...

I notice many of us have fallen for the scams devised by Plusnet,

Which when translated by the Babelfish comes out with "Wish I had not fallen for the marketing blurb, immediately paid with my credit card, then read the T&C's afterwards ... ".

Darwin rules! Wink

SW
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Laugh
Grafter

The Plusnet SCAM...

You've only been with PN since April and your first post is a venomous tirade. (it took me at least 5 posts to get to that level Wink )I remember completing that survey and I would be one of those that put the satisfaction rating up to that level. I admit that if I was to complete the survey now it would not be so high!

However, the results of the survey were correct at the time. So you tell Daddy's business chum that my result stands!

PN were 92% satisfactory when the survey was conducted. I also believe that they will get back to that level. I just wish they'd do it slightly faster Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The Plusnet SCAM...

Being here 4-ish years I haven't looked at the recent offerings for some time. Having a quick look round, while the marketing department have gone a bit haywire with the big print ('free' words) and the nice looking pictures, there are clear links to the terms and conditions - did you not read them?

Put it this way, each ISP has to pay BT an activation charge, whether it is directly charged to ourselves or not. I am not sure what the wholesale cost of that is (someone here will know the exact amount I am sure), but say that's £47 along with the modem (let's say for arguments sake PlusNet buy them in bulk from the manufacturer and it costs them £10 but they obviously make a profit and value it at £25).

If the offer was completely free, then someone could sign up for a couple of days, decide the connection wasn't performing well (e.g. there could be a BT fault but they might be quick to assume it was with ISP and want to change). So you give the 30 days and say PlusNet receive payments from you for month and a bit. So say £14.99 + a couple of quid, lets round that up to £20.

When you take the £20 PlusNet have received, £3.50 of that goes to Gordon Brown, £8.40 goes on the wholesale port cost, and if you paid the inital payment by card then there is probably 50p on the merchant fee. So that leaves PlusNet with £7.60 in credit excluding obviously running costs such as their building, support and bandwidth.

So PlusNet have made £7.60 but then have lost £49.40 because of the activation and modem. Is that a scam or a question of running a business?

It's not often I make postings in their defence, though despite this I do think the 5 year stretch for 75-ish quid is ludicrous, IMHO this should be 1-3 years.

The problem with USwitch and comparison sites is that just looking at stats in a grid doesn't give the full picture, especially when the offer is not straightforward. I'd always read the small print.

It was when I got a new broadband connection (not with PlusNet) I paid for the activation and got my own hardware. Personally I could be bothered to do it any other way.
N/A

The Plusnet SCAM...

*sigh* Plusnet don't ask for £72 to leave, they simply ask for the costs they have paid out if you leave before the "you stay, we pay" has paid them all off (which takes about 5 years).

Something like £57 of that £72 is for line activation I believe, and the rest is probably for hardware.
lingbob
Grafter

I will now be spending a few hours posting this all over the internet, such as the ADSL guide.

You might like to post this link while you're at it.
Oh, and don't forget to tell everybody to read the small print at the bottom of the page.
timps
Grafter

The Plusnet SCAM...

However !!!

"92% are well satified with customer service" Huh?
Even PN are not satified with customer service
I'm not are you?

If 92% are satisfied with customer service then indeed Darwin does rule

The world of ISP's & broadband is a mire of complications and for the newcomer it's a steep learning curve which is being exploited cynically. the small print should be printed larger

Should say i've been with PN / Force9 for getting for 6 years
and have have only been drawn to forums v. recently since getting caught up in messy customer service issues

timps
N/A

The Plusnet SCAM...

The problem with USwitch and comparison sites is that just looking at stats in a grid doesn't give the full picture,

I can't seem to find the statistics of that particular survey anymore.

I'm fairly sure that I have seen it somewhere and that 16,000 people were consulted but most of them were with other ISP's and were voting on their experience with their own ISP. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the PlusNet group survey size was 250 customers wasn't it?
N/A

The Plusnet SCAM...

It's a matter of description...Uswitch agree the modem is not free so they need to adjust the description which many fall for. In my instance I asked my girlfriend to read out the contract terms over the phone at the time and she pointed to the free modem. I have a wireless router but it was to be fixed a few days after my Plusnet account began. So i took up the free modem offer and used it once (the router arrived early). I will send it back if they want. But I signed up to this contract via Uswitch, which describes the modem as 'included in the product'. I have gone through all y documaentation and there is no mention of the modem being anything more than free.
Surprised at your lack of emotional intelligence strathbungo...How can new customers be bored of these issues?
Are you unable to understand other people's situations? Or are we all meant to pretend we're forum veterans. Think harder.

I'm also miffed that there has been no mercy in relation to Talk Talk taking over my line (making it go dead) in the first two months of my Plusnet contract. I have had to pay Plusnet for no service, as a different company (I never signed up to) sequestered my phoneline without my consent. I thought the idea was I pay for an internet service. But I wasn't getting that service. Hardly customer support or even a show of humanity.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Darwin rules! Wink

Now that made me laugh ;-)

With all these headlines going around about the wonderful GCSE results, did anyone else notice the smallprint comment about the less than stelar results in basic literacy & numeroucy. I think we should blame it all on the Department for Education and Skills ;-)

Neil