Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Plus Newsletter - my review.

N/A

Hi

Should the marketing email I've just received 5 mins ago:
PlusNet Shop is here - fantastic deals this Christmas

be showing as coming from "PlusNet Customer Support"?

Would it be possible to have it seem to come from a more appropriate email address or is PNCS really running it themsleves :? ?

regards

Stuart
N/A

Just looked at the privacy policy - any chance of a slightly more gradated opt-out?

Entitled: "Choose what you would like to hear about from PlusNet" the only choice is either yes or no to:

I would prefer not to receive electronic communications about the special offers, promotions and services available from PlusNet

This seems a bit too much 'all-or-nothing'. It appears that as a company PN are going to increase their marketing to increase their average revenue per customer, fair dos, but I don't want to opt out of everything from PlusNet, just the shop marketing (and I'll put up with that in, say, a useful newsletter). I still want to know about changes and options for my BB account.

Suppose I'll have to keep my options 'unticked' at present, just to make sure I receive the useful stuff amongst what I will consider to be junk.

regards

Stuart
N/A

My thoughts are happening in discrete chunks - sorry to come back to this again, doubly sorry if it is OT.

If PN had a handful of specific originating email addresses for different types of communication (would have to be clearly defined areas of responsibility), then perhaps customers could sign up to receive only from particular accounts? Just a simplistic suggestion - sure there are plenty of holes in it.

regards

Stuart
Community Veteran

is PNCS really running it themsleves :? ?

Yip; Carol Axe as editor IIRC.
N/A

Yip; Carol Axe as editor IIRC.

Sorry, Daniel, I knew I was drifting OT and this would confuse Shockedops: , mea culpa.

I agree the 'news'letter, certainly has Carol Axe as Editor, what I meant was the new marketing email I received this afternoon (see 3 posts up) entitled: "PlusNet Shop is here - fantastic deals this Christmas" - 'selling' the PlusNet Shop. This comes from "Plusnet Customer Support". I was wondering whether they are really responsible for the shop?

regards

Stuart
LiamM
Grafter

I'd say it's rather the management etc.... that are responsible for the shop, not really the Plusnet Customer Support people.
N/A

As I indicated in another thread, there was little in the newsletter that I would define as news, and I thought that most of the content had a feeling of being contrived towards directing us to spend more money with Plusnet.

I felt that it was essentially a marketing communication, "wrapped-up" to look like a newsletter.

By aiming competitions in a "newsletter" at customers who gave or generated new business to Plusnet, it gave me the feeling that my custom was only important to Plusnet if I could generate more income for them.

I think that Plusnet need to be clear in their thinking about what the purpose of the newsletter is. If it is to be a successful newsletter, then I think it's important that articles are not driven by the opportunity to "sell something off the back of it ".
Community Veteran

I haven’t received it yet either but I totally agree that a newsletter should be a newsletter and a mail-shot a mail-shot. Unfortunately I think it is now the norm for ISPs to do this.

Wanadoo used to send me “Your rewards offers” every couple of weeks or so, this was an unashamed sales exercise to get you to spend money with their “partners”. But you could opt out of it.

I would genuinely respect Plusnet for developing a newsletter that was informative and didn’t try to up sell me.

Come to think of it Psion used to do just that for their organiser users, hell I actually looked forward to reading it.

Including some cool web sites and net savvy tips for users would also be a great idea. There is a real community building opportunity here, stick the sales pitches in a separate “message” and allow folks to opt in or out.

Toodle pip!
N/A

Sorry I only very breifly scanned this thread,

Someone mentioned giving away a £5 voucher for use in the shop or something.
I was thinking about having a competition which really offered a voucher for use with either the shop, or even better which allows you to have a months free broadband or something.
The prize to be given away is a little bigger, as there are packages up to £39.99 a month on normal consumer broadband and even higher ones on business. But if run only once a month and which required the right sort of input from people (not referring new punters) then this could prove to be very popular.

I certainly wouldnt mind having a months worth of broadband for free Smiley

But yes, I do agree with Chris in the OP, the news somewhat lacked. I have a tendancy of scanning first. It didnt really catch my eye and actually got submitted to the trash can faster than normal spam.

Regards,
N/A

You know, I'd forgotten about this newsletter. There's a moral there. Hmm, too late to be still in webmail, it was snarfed up in my last Mailwasher session and downloaded. I was going to ignore it, but as I've found a victim, sorry, valued client who's referred me I guess that means I might qualify for the competition.

Now how do I switch off the referrals system for all new entries...:lol:
N/A

Just looked at the privacy policy - any chance of a slightly more gradated opt-out?
Hi Stuart. Before I saw this thread, I put a suggestion on the "Ideas and Suggestions" board of exactly this.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36759
N/A

Certainly not a lot of substance to the so-called 'newsletter' - cant see it being worth reading.
Neil_A
Grafter

Thanks for everyone's feedback. We'll look to make the next edition much more informative and news based and less marketing.

There is a feedback link at the bottom of the newsletter and the majority of feedback that is coming through the survey is very positive.

Thanks
Community Veteran

That is great, thanks for listening.
N/A

You know, I'd forgotten about this newsletter. There's a moral there. Hmm, too late to be still in webmail, it was snarfed up in my last Mailwasher session and downloaded. I was going to ignore it, but as I've found a victim, sorry, valued client who's referred me I guess that means I might qualify for the competition.

Now how do I switch off the referrals system for all new entries...:lol:

Nevermind, I don't have a referral now...