cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Complete List of Leaving

N/A

Can somebody write an in depth List on how to leave Plusnet as there seems to be some confusion on just about everything...right from the basics to the tricky stuff i.e applying when to leave giving 30 days notice so that you don't have to pay again....if we can have one list we can all edit and update maybe the process will become clearer. Tongue
119 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You raise a question and ask for your MAC 1 day before your next billing date
You pay any outstanding fees due and PN will issue a MAC code
Your 30 days notice starts when you request you MAC and you pay one more monthly payment.
You give the MAC to another ISP.
They then migrate you.
You then tell PN you have migrated.

If you don't use your MAC within 30 days it expires and nothing happens on your account - it continues as if no MAC was issued.
N/A

OK my MAC expires tomorrow , I have jsut sigend up with a new ISP and adv +net that I have done so - so I'm guessing i have to pay +net for one more month right ?
N/A

I was wondering about that point as well as the OP. I asked for my MAC 2 weeks ago and got this response:

"You currently have some deferred fees which would need paying before we can process your cancellation request.

The total cancellation charge would, therefore, stand at : £67. This represents £47 for activation and £20 for hardware. These charges were deferred on your account when you signed up under the "You Stay, We Pay" offer detailed on our website.

As an incentive to stay, would you be willing to accept one month of free service as a gesture of goodwill? There would be no obligation (other than the contractual agreements above) to stay after this. We would also be willing to specifically investigate any issues which you may have.

Please let us know how you wish to proceed. If you do still wish to cancel, please make sure that you have valid credit/debit card details registered to your account and authorise us to take your final fee."

I decided to stay, as i asked for my mac the night before i was due to be billed and was unsure where to move to. I have used the last few weeks to look at other ISP's. I was also hoping to see if BT would sort out my exchange as the vp have been red now for 2 months, but the ETA has been moved back several times now. Just so that i could get a true look at plusnet throttling, i really didnt have a problem with plusnet until a month ago
According to the above statement I do not have to pay 30 days notice (i believed that i would have before this reply) 'There would be no obligation (other than the contractual agreements above) to stay after this'
N/A

At least they want you - I had no such offer Cool
Community Veteran

I'm not sure what the CS agent says does mean you don't have to still give 30 days notice. After all, the 30 day notice is part of the T&C and thus the contract so would still apply.

Hmm.. it does raise one interesting point I had not considered... If you don't actually pay your outstanding fees for several weeks, I'm not sure when your notice period would actually start.

I'm guessing here but as you can't migrate until you have a MAC and you don't get a MAC until you have paid, the date you pay may then be the date your 30 days notice starts, rather than the date you requested it. But if you paid within a few days, would the notice still start from the date you paid or the date you requested your MAC.

You will need to get clarification from PN on that one. :?

All I can say is once a MAC is given, it is only valid for 30 days.
Community Veteran

At least they want you - I had no such offer Cool

You obviously downloaded too much Wink

Not everyone is given the free month when they request to leave. I think one of the criteria used to decide if a free month will be offered is the amount you downloaded over the past 1 or 3 months.
N/A

Billing Period Peak usage Off-peak Total usage
08 Aug - 06 Sep 737.68MB 4.56GB 5.3GB
09 Sep - 07 Oct 1.46GB 12.71GB 14.18GB
08 Oct - 07 Nov 1.22GB 9.73GB 10.95GB

This is our past usage.

No free month for us. Not that I would have taken them up on it thou!
N/A

I was asked to stay, and I saw two things also.
Over the last month I haven't downloaded much because my Linux box gave up the ghost.
For three months before that I was getting 1st warnings every month, a day or two before my billing date, and I was sure my usage was way out. Looked at the last 3 months when my new cycle began and if I remember correctly, the amount used is 10 GB down each month apart from the last.

Applied for my MAC code just under a week ago, got it (plus the offer to stay) within a few hours, paid my next bill, and am waiting until I'm at least halfway through before filling in the migration form on another ISP. I hope that works OK.
I'm really glad that I joined when deferred activation was paid off in one year. From what I've read of 'you stay we pay' I'd have probably missed it in the T & Cs.
N/A

Peter

My feelings exactly :roll:

I can understand that - it was just the lack of info and not keeping to their own guidelines that drove me nuts (there is more but I won't bore you Wink )

If everything goes well I'm in my last few days with Plusnet (my 1st ISP) and it's been a "good" learning curve, and in a strange way I will be sorry to go.............but not that sorry Cheesy

Steve
N/A

who do you phone whats the number to cancel this
N/A

Peter

and in a strange way I will be sorry to go.............but not that sorry Cheesy

Steve

Yeah that's kinda how I feel about moving on too - for me the 13GB is too low a cap too.
N/A

can anyone from plusnet help

I'm not sure what the CS agent says does mean you don't have to still give 30 days notice. After all, the 30 day notice is part of the T&C and thus the contract so would still apply.

Hmm.. it does raise one interesting point I had not considered... If you don't actually pay your outstanding fees for several weeks, I'm not sure when your notice period would actually start.

I'm guessing here but as you can't migrate until you have a MAC and you don't get a MAC until you have paid, the date you pay may then be the date your 30 days notice starts, rather than the date you requested it. But if you paid within a few days, would the notice still start from the date you paid or the date you requested your MAC.

You will need to get clarification from PN on that one. :?

All I can say is once a MAC is given, it is only valid for 30 days.

Just wondering if this is the case about deferred payment,there seems to be so many ways Plusnet can catch you out...can someone from Plusnet please clarify the questions posed above i.e 30 days from when you ask for your Mac code or is it 30 days from when you make any final deferred payments.
sixpence
Grafter

Surely to cancell, all one does is email PN giving one months notice. At the end of which, instruct bank to cancell d/d.
Or am I missing something?
Anyway, whats an MAC?
As you can see the writer knows knowt about isp or the internet.
Have a nice day folks!
N/A

@jolynn, a MAC is a Migration Authorisation Code.
If you have one you should be able to move seamlessly, and often not pay activation charges.

If you cancel without a MAC, your broadband stops and you have to wait for PlusNet's tag to be cleared from your line before you can order from another provider. You will also have to pay a new activation fee, although sometimes that's included in higher monthly bills or deferred until you leave.