Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The CGI New Platform not able to point domains to directorie

Marteknet
Grafter

The CGI New Platform FAQ says

23. Will I be able to point domains to directories?
At the time of launch, this will not be possible. However this functionality should be available within a short timeframe after live launch.

When will this be up and running?

At the moment I have a few domains that use mainly PHP scripts and have the opening HTML intro page pointing to cgi.thedomainname.co.uk . I have crofters set up with directories for each domain, they run just fine. Pages on crofters are accessed via cgi.thedomainname.co.uk/script.php?whatever=iwant

I have lots of links listed in the main search engines such as google, yahoo, MSN and many more that access scripts via the cgi domain name pointing to unique directories on crofters, one for each domain.

At the moment links to CGI domains work very well for me with each domain pointing to a directory. If the new set up pointing of domains to a directories takes very long to bring in for the new server, I expect to lose the links I have listed in the search engines, Many are on the first pages for their respective keywords, It has taken me a lot of time, effort and money to get these pages listed so high.

This means that all my scripts will have to be re-written twice. First to overcome the lack of cgi domain pointing and then later when it is fixed I will have to re-write the code again if I want the urls to read ccgi.domainname.co.uk/script.php and not ccgi.martek.force9.co.uk/directoryfordomain/script.php.
This is a huge amount of work and as we all know time is money. Bearing this in mind why isn't the swap over of the CGI server being held back to all the featured are usable. This will save countless hours of needless work for force9 customers and I expect more then just a few broken web sites.

What is the planned time span for bringing this feature back in to use after the swap over?
13 REPLIES
N/A

I don't know timescales, but you can sort of do it just now, if you want...

Note: This is not really that well tested in the wild, but it looks as if it worked from my limited testing.

If you have 3 domains - ccgi.domain.ext, ccgi.username.force9.co.uk and www.domain.co.uk - you should be able to create 3 folders within your home folder - named after the domain - and put the files for that domain in that folder.

So you would end up with

/files/homex/username

|
---- ccgi.domain.ext/
---- ccgi.username.force9.co.uk/
---- www.domain.co.uk/

You then put the following in a .htaccess file in the root folder:

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond /files/homex/username/%{HTTP_HOST} -d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/%{HTTP_HOST}/(.*) [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [L]

which should cause the sites to work without the redirect.

Your cgi-bin folder is the only thing not affected Sad
Marteknet
Grafter

Thanks Colin.

I may give that a go, if it save me have to re-code lots of PHP files I will be happy.
Marteknet
Grafter

You then put the following in a .htaccess file in the root folder:

Hi again Colin.

I just read this on the NEW cgi faq page.

21. Why doesn't my .htaccess always work?
An overall increase in security on the new CGI platform means .htaccess directives are not applied to:

.php files
.php3 files
Files inside your cgi-bin directory

So i guess your idea will not work for me as 99% of my files are PHP.

mmmm back to square one I guess.
N/A

Nope, it works - I was testing it with a .php file.

There are something that don't work - like http authentication it would appear, but mod_rewrite does appear to work.
Marteknet
Grafter

Thanks Colin.

I will try it on a few of the more unusual scripts, I guess if it works with them then it should work with most others.
pops1000uk
Grafter

my PHPBB Forum wont send emails now?? any ideas?
Marteknet
Grafter

my PHPBB Forum wont send emails now?? any ideas?

It may be a path problem.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The CGI platform will not send emails without a valid from address. Please make sure phpBB is setting the from address correctly when sending email.
pops1000uk
Grafter

tried it! I had a problem with receiving emails has my new domain is now hosted with F9. I can now receive emails and still my forum is not sending emails..
N/A

Hi

So my domain www.thestottfamily.co.uk points to the cgi server and thestottfamily.co.uk to homepages (were i store images etc and larger files).

I now have www.seroxatmad.co.uk and because i need .php access for a forum i need to point this to the cgi server also.

What do i need in a .htaccess file?

Regards

John
N/A

The CGI platform will not send emails without a valid from address. Please make sure phpBB is setting the from address correctly when sending email.

Yeah, except you also need to go and hack the code, Ben...
Marteknet
Grafter

how about web space Archiving.

Are customers in danger of having their domains archived?

We have 90 days to fix scripts and till the change over we have two cgi servers running in tandem. how is the webspace usage calculated?

I myself will need almost two sets of files because of the way things are set up. the main reason being I have lots of links in the search engines to individual pages, but these pages do not display correctly on there own, they are intended for use as include files by PHP scripts, so I have added scripts to them to ensure that they are only displayed as intended, as an include file and part of a table, This is done with a redirect like this:

var testloc="http://cgi.martek-net.co.uk/php-bin/martek/index.php?mainlocation=gameindex";

if (window.location != testloc){
window.location.replace(testloc);
}

in each file.

Here lies the problem I can't use this method while testing without having two sets of files, one for testing (ccgi) and the other (cgi) to keep my current domains working. My current webspace usage is around 55% so if I do run two sets of files during the transition period my webspace usage may exceed the allowance. Waiting till until the change over and then adapting the files isn't an option as this would mean the domains would be offline for a few days.

Answers on a tenner (please) to peter@martek-net.co.uk
N/A

My phpBB setup (which works fine on the cgi server) won't send emails to my F9 address from the ccgi server. It sends emails to other addresses OK. It's got a valid admin 'from' address (which is the same one as it's trying to send to). Any ideas anyone?