cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The BT max problem

N/A

The BT max problem

Hi can anyone link me to the details of the problem regarding long lines and fluctuating SNR.

Cheers

Nick
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The BT max problem

Does putting the term SNR into the search tool yield anything relevant?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

The BT max problem

Nah, someone posted a link to a post on adslguide or the register i can't for the life of me locate the thread on this forum Sad
craign
Grafter

The BT max problem

One link may have been to ADSLguide where it does say

"The previous BT Wholesale products with their conservative planning limits has largely insulated the UK ADSL broadband populace from the joys of seeing lines drop during thunderstorms and other transient noise spikes.!"

Kitz has some great explanation pages linestats and How maxDSL Works.

Or a google for "maxdsl line length snr"

But basically longer lines = more opportunity for noise to get injected somewhere between you and the exchange. More noise... computer says no.
N/A

The BT max problem

Even though what has been said in the previous post is not incorrect the main contributing factor to the SNR is the attentuation of the signal. The further you are away from the exchange the smaller the signal is when it reach the house. Higher the frequency of the signal more attentuation is seen. So these 2 factors combined means the SNR is worst. So the options are move your house closer to the exchange :lol: :lol: or reduce the transmission speed.
N/A

The BT max problem

It should not be up to me to change my transmission speed. My 1mb line worked fine for months at a time. BT or PN should have chosen the best speed and not tried to push me to the highest, rather have stability over speed.
N/A

The BT max problem

craign
Grafter

The BT max problem

I forgot to mention, length is not the only factor...

Some links back to the exchange contain aluminium. Simplistically, a longer piece of copper is better than a shorter piece of aluminium. Jointing between copper and aluminium is problematic due to the thermal properties of Aluminium, and the oxide of alu is non conductive.

[OT]guess where I live... Backbytes
N/A

The BT max problem

Nah not that one, had more setails on the length of line and fluctuating SNR issue
cheers tho

nick
N/A

The BT max problem

I believe that Plusnet should take some responsibility for the number of people that have problems. When it came apparent there were problems they should have been more proactive and stopped the upgrades and not wait until BT pulled the plug. Plusnet beleive that they should be proud that they have upgraded 35,000 users, which according to them more than any other ISP. Perhaps other ISP's were being more cautious!!!
N/A

The BT max problem

[OT]guess where I live... Backbytes

To @mmcollcm
I aslo live in Ipswich and 35 years ago for 4 years I use to install Strowger telephone exchanges. Worked in 3 of the 4 exchanges covering Ipswich. My adsl is at 2Mb on the main exchange which is about 3km away and because of this opted out of the upgrade because I probably will not see any improvement upgrading. What's annoying is I'm only 350 yards away from another exchange and houses in the next street will get speeds at nearly the full 8Mb. If I only knew about broadband 20 years ago I would have brought a house in a different location. :!: Will broadband connectivity affect house prices :?: