cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Ability to pay for extra IP's.

craigbrass
Grafter

The Ability to pay for extra IP's would be nice, or ever an upgrade for home accounts so they get a block of 8 IP's.
7 REPLIES
N/A

You can already get a block of 4 ips free of charge, even on home accounts. As for the block of 8, as far as I'm concerned you pay for them by upgrading to a business account.
N/A

As far as i can remember the only thing stopping home accounts having more than one IP, well getting a second IP at any rate, is that you had to give +net a good reason for you to get one.

As the IP space is limited so +net are wary of giving IP address out without good reason.
N/A

They weren't that strict when I asked - I just explained that I had two servers, and wished them both to run on their default ports, which would require additional IPs. Either way, as long as it's not just "so I can have one spare incase" I think they will allow it.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

We have become more lenient with giving out additional IP addresses in the recent months as we have more IP addresses now. To be honest, the current setup of a maximum of 4 on home accounts is unlikely to change as 95% of things can be done on a single IP address and clever networking. If you really need to use more then we think that a business account would be more suitable (so you are effectively paying more for the additional IP addresses).

Bear in mind, however, that we will at least consider any request so there is no harm in asking if you really think you need 8 IP addresses raise it through Contact Us and we will asses whether your request could be done using NAT and PAT.

Regards,
N/A

Bear in mind, however, that we will at least consider any request so there is no harm in asking if you really think you need 8 IP addresses raise it through Contact Us and we will asses whether your request could be done using NAT and PAT.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is PAT ? I know NAT is Network Address Translation, but i cant think what the P in PAT could be, i could have the A & T wrong too...
N/A

PAT is Port Address Translation.

The simplest way to discribe this, is port forarding.
N/A

Port forwardin ye, that did kind of occur to me about 30 mins after i posted... Grr