cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That MAC issue again

N/A

That MAC issue again

I am sorry to raise this MAC nightmare issue again. I have been through the discouraging and quite depressing experience of browsing through the forum trying to understand a bit more about this issue, but I am afraid I have not the knowledge and the time to analyse and extrapolate the necessary info.

I have requested a MAC on 8 December. I have had this response on 12 Dec:
“Dear…
Awaiting response from the suppliers.
The next action on your Help Assistant Question is due on Tuesday 19th December at 9:00am. This Question will remain open with the CSC - LLU MAC Requests Awaiting until this time.”

Today I have had this response:
“Dear…,
I apologise for the delay in the return of your MAC key i have today been in contact with the supplier in order to chase this. I will get back to you as soon as this has been received.
The next action on your Help Assistant Question is due on Wednesday 27th December at 9:00am. This Question will remain open with the CSC - LLU MAC Requests Awaiting until this time…”

From which I will have to guess that nothing will be done until 27 December. My contract ceases (or so I understand) on 11 Jan.

I save you all the considerations about (lack of) customer support of which there is ample evidence and reporting in this forum. I would just like to know from some of you fellow “prisoners” out there what this means in honest terms, what I shuold expect and what is the best way out.
Thank you
21 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

That MAC issue again

We have requested your MAC key from our LLU suppliers.

The ticket is on hold for a week so that it bounces back into the ticket pool (for actioning) if the MAC key has not been received in that time. If it is received before then, then it will be added to your ticket.

We won't cease your line if you request a migration - so you won't be without service. We'll close your account when we receive confirmation that you have migrated out.
N/A

That MAC issue again

Thank you lmartin for your prompt reply.
I am sure that you are a customer of some service (telephone, water, TV, club, whatever), too. How would you feel if your service provider would give you an answer like this? Satisfied, happy, taken care of or back exactly to square one?
I respect the fact that you are doing your job, but just ask yourself this question and perhaps you will understand why I …. many, it appears, do not feel too impressed sometimes.
Now, perhaps there is someone else out there from this side of the fence who would like to interpret the signals coming from PN and give some guidance?
James
Grafter

That MAC issue again

I'll ask someone to chase your delayed MAC code today.

I'm not condoning the delay as being acceptable.
James
Grafter

That MAC issue again

Have now spoken to James, and he is currently chasing Tiscali for delayed MAC Keys.
N/A

That MAC issue again

Thank you Jamesbailey for your help. I hope we are going somewhere.
One thing that worries me is that I have read several instances on this forum about a Tisclai/BT problem regarding LLU, migration and the lot. This created to some PN customers substantial interruption of BB, which I can definitely not afford. Can you possibly explain in what circumstances this problem may apply to my case, so that I can take appropriate measures?
Thank you
James
Grafter

That MAC issue again

All I can say is that we have experienced some issues with the reverse migration trial, which we have communicated to BT with at length. There is a chance that you may experience issues, but a large proportion of these go through without difficulty.

I'm afraid that I can make no guarantees.
N/A

That MAC issue again

So, basically, you are saying that I would not know whether I have a problem until…..when exactly?
When I have migrated to the new provider and I see things do not work? Before this time, so that I could still use PN until it is solved? Or when does the problem manifest itself?
Thanks
James
Grafter

That MAC issue again

Essentially yes. It's just like you could have an issue with a fresh provide on a normal BT IPStream service. You would know at the point of scheduled migration if problems were being experienced.

It would be the new providers responsibility to chase the issue up with BT should the transition fail.

Sorry if I am coming across as being somewhat vague, but it's a new process and problems with it are still being ironed out.
N/A

That MAC issue again

Thank you.
Please continue to chase that MAC code.
carrot63
Grafter

That MAC issue again

It's just like you could have an issue with a fresh provide on a normal BT IPStream service

Except that it is not 'supposed' to be a fresh provide, but a migration, and therefore shouldn't really be compared. It is also likely to cost the customer 47 quid to move, unlike an IPStream>IPStream migration. And Tiscali are notoriously slack at removing their tags from the line,

Sorry if I am coming across as being somewhat vague, but it's a new process and problems with it are still being ironed out.

The iron is in desperate need of repair.

I sincerely hope it work out well and the transfer goes smoothly.
N/A

That MAC issue again

For the records, I have received my MAC on fri 22 Dec.
As I cannot risk to have long disconnections and I am lucky enough to have 2 BT lines, I have decided, after reading horror stories about migration on this and other forums, to get a fresh connection on my other line. This way I will try to create bridge should major migration issues arise.
Now I will have to wait for this new BB service to be activated and only then I could use use my MAC to migrate from PN to my new provider.

Could you please remind me how it works with cancellation: if I have requested a MAC on 8 dec, it will be valid for 30 days, OK. Does this also mean that my contract with PN will cease on 8 Jan (actually 11 Jan, as my monthly bill starts on the 11)? Or, should it go on until I will have actually notified PN that I have migrated, and this happens after 11 Jan, will I be charged pro-rata for the time I would still be using PN?
Thanks
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

That MAC issue again

Hi,

Whilst you are still a PlusNet customer you will continue to be billed as normal, that means that if you haven't used the MAC by the next billing date then the payment is taken in full as normal.

We don't cease the broadband (as then you wouldn't be able to migrate) if you don't or haven't used the MAC, we just continue to supply the service as normal.
N/A

That MAC issue again

Ok, back on this issue again.
I am still confused on two main issues.

First. If I have asked for a MAC on 8 Dec, but received it, after lots of ranting, on friday 23 dec (!!!), does it mean that still the 30 day period to use the MAC has started on 8 Dec, (leaving me basically 15 days - lots less considering the festive period- to use the MAC) or does it start the moment I've actually received the MAC?

Second. My billing period starts/ends on the 12th of the month. If migration has not taken place fully (for whatever problem)by that date, I understand from the previous post that I will be billed in full for the next month. Surely, if I manage to successfully migrate by, say, 14 Jan I should not be liable to pay for the whole month, should I?

Thank you and regards
James
Grafter

That MAC issue again

Once you have migrated out, we can refund your invoice pro rata for the amount of time you have received service from us.

The fact that you are still with us after the 30 day notice period has expired is immaterial.