cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks for the Technical Report

Saturn
Grafter

Thanks for the Technical Report

This type of feedback is an excellent development in PlusNet's efforts to keep customers informed, and hot on the heals of swift resolution of the problems over the weekend. Most commendable.
7 REPLIES
ncreu
Grafter

RE: Thanks for the Technical Report

> This type of feedback is an excellent development
> in PlusNet's efforts to keep customers informed,
> and hot on the heals of swift resolution of the
> problems over the weekend. Most commendable.

Agreed. Smiley

The more I've used the PlusNet/Force9 service over
the past year, the more impressed I've become with
the way they are committed to finding ways to
improve.

N/A

Hi there,

Thank you for your comments. Keeping our customers informed is very important to us and we hope it's one of the ways we differentiate ourselves from our competitors. I know there are many areas we can improve even on this point - for example we have work scheduled to communicate BT outages more clearly - but I think it is an area in which we have already made improvements.

I must say that I enjoyed writing that technical report! But I would appreciate feedback on whether the level of technical detail it contained was pitched correctly - that is, what is too detailed / too complex / patronising etc.? I will push any feedback to my immediate colleagues to help us improve future communications, so I look forward to hearing from you all.

Best wishes,

Matt.
--
| Matt Saunders...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support..........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet --------+

Saturn
Grafter

I thought it was pretty close to the mark. I personally would be interested to know more about the “Denial of Service” attack, but considering the customer base as a whole I would imagine the level of detail was about right.
N/A

I found the report light on technical details; more detail would have allowed a considered view of whether sufficient defence measures were in place and will be in place. However I wouldnt really expect that level of details to be made 'public' for obvous reasons.
N/A

Hi Matt,

>But I would appreciate feedback on whether the level of technical detail it contained was pitched correctly - that is, what is too detailed / too complex / patronising etc.?

Only too pleased to give feedback but... where is it (I keep missing stuff :confusedSmiley?

Tim
N/A

Hi there,

It's under the "Service Status" link on the left hand side, and then under the "connectivity" section. However for convenience I'll copy it here:

--------------------------
Connectivity Issues 28th and 29th December: Technical Report
Dear Customer,

This weekend there were two separate Service issues which affected our customers. The following is a summary of the circumstances surrounding these problems.

From early on Saturday morning we received reports from customers having difficulty reaching common websites. Initial inspection suggested that the problem was with our DNS servers (the mechanism that converts internet names like www.plus.net to IP addresses like 212.159.11.150). This possibility was thoroughly investigated and eventually discounted. Following liaison with our primary supplier of external connectivity, we discovered that the routing information for one of our primary ranges of IP addresses, 212.159.0.0/18, was not being propagated to the Internet correctly. The presenting symptom of this which our customers experienced appeared to be DNS-related only because our DNS servers fall within this range.

The problem was further traced to an error within a database held by RIPE (the organisation which handles allocation of IP addresses in Europe.) This was put right immediately and in conjunction with an emergency fix applied by our bandwidth supplier to their routers, service was fully restored for our customers at around 3:30pm. We are currently continuing to liaise with our suppliers and with RIPE to determine the exact cause of this issue and will take whatever steps are necessary to prevent any recurrence of these events.

On Sunday evening we became aware that the performance of our network was dramatically reduced. Investigation quickly made it clear that a very large amount of traffic was crossing our network, originating from a server belonging to one of our corporate customers. This caused traffic to loop between our core routers in what is called a “Denial of Service” attack.

The affected machine was immediately disconnected from our network and full service was restored. We have assisted the owners of the server with investigations into how their server was compromised, and they have put measures in place to reduce the likelihood of any further such attacks.

Although both of these issues were outside our direct control, we would like to take this opportunity to apologise to our customers for these interruptions in full service. We remain committed to our policy of complete openness with regard to Service issues such as these and to our goal of providing the fastest and most reliable Internet connection in the UK. Thank you for your continued custom.

Happy New Year, and best wishes,

from everyone at PlusNet.
--------------------------------
N/A

> Hi there,
>
> It's under the "Service Status" link on the left hand side, and then under the "connectivity" section. However for convenience I'll copy it here:

Thank you very much - I thought I'd looked there but I just couldn't have done :deadhead:.

It was a good report thanks and I reckon you pitched it just right!

Tim