cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible gaming speeds

N/A

Terrible gaming speeds

hi, i too am having a problem with gaming, although my ping is terrible off peak as well. I play Guild Wars and have been getting an average ping between 1500 and 2000ms, which makes the game virtually impossible to play (when i'm not being logged out that is). My speeds are currently restricted due to high usage, but i've never had ping like this before, even when BB+ had its problem month and i was running at 125kb. Can somebody help me out with this please? I would open a ticket but this has proved to be rather unhelpfull in the past.
17 REPLIES
N/A

Terrible gaming speeds

All I can say is that CSC are improving all the time and that PlusNet can't do anything about the problem if you don't tell them about it.

Give them a call or raise a ticket and cite the game you're playing, the server IP addresses and port numbers. These should then be added to the "titanium" traffic list and given priority across the network.

Consider switching to PAYG as this will mean all your traffic is completely unmanaged and that you'll never be restricted for passing 4GB (although it will cost you a couple of pounds more at current levels it's definetely worth it).

Also worth doing a speedtest with someone like speedtest.net and checking your IP profile on the BT Speedtester after your usage has been reset.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Terrible gaming speeds

Hi,

I would suspect that the reasons for high pings are because of your usage, I would recommend switching to PAYG or Premier as one of these would be more appropriate for your usage.
N/A

Terrible gaming speeds

my usage may indeed be affecting my pings, but as i said before my usage was restricted my ping was still terrible. Changing product isn't ideal for me, the only reason i went over was because i didn't realise how much streaming was using.
bikepump
Grafter

Terrible gaming speeds

i never had a problem with pings in-game, they were always 15-20 even when my account was being managed for usage
Mark64uk
Grafter

Terrible gaming speeds

This used to be happening to me alot at the time when everyone was getting random disconnects. Below is what used to hapen about every 10 mins or so

A normal ping ive seen is about 300 - 400. thats on my connecting and when asking people on BT ect. Maybe you should raise a ticket to have the game added to traffic management see if that helps.

Mark
N/A

Terrible gaming speeds

yeah, thanks i'll try that, although i've never had much luck when raising tickets :roll:
N/A

Terrible gaming speeds

yeah, thanks i'll try that, although i've never had much luck when raising tickets :roll:
N/A

Terrible gaming speeds

N/A

Terrible gaming speeds

yeah, thanks i'll try that, although i've never had much luck when raising tickets
N/A

Terrible gaming speeds

woh, sorry, didn't mean to spam, said my message hadn't gone through, strange
Liam
Grafter

Terrible gaming speeds

Yup, I've raised a P2 problem on an intermittent email error being displayed when posting on the forums. It still submits the post, however.
Azagoth
Grafter

Terrible gaming speeds

mark64uk,

I feel your pain there. I have over 1800hrs logged in Guild wars and not once has my ping dropped below 200ms. Like you, I keep on getting those massive lag-spikes of upto 30,000ms every now and then, not every 10 minutes though.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Terrible gaming speeds

Do you know what port(s) the game is using? I can check if they are on the lists as known rules.
Azagoth
Grafter

Terrible gaming speeds

According to the Guild Wars site, you need to have these ports forwarded.

Guild Wars requires that the following ports are fully unrestricted and accessible inbound and out: TCP 80 TCP 6112

I use a modem so don't have to mess with ports and that, is that the info you needed?