cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephone 'support' calls disconnect after long periods

N/A

I've been trying to help a new customer get connected to PlusNet after recommending them.

Three times we have rung the help line, hung on for over 30 minutes listening to the interminable music and announcements, the phone has then rung - and disconnected.

A ticket request for help on Sunday was answered very quickly, however, I answered this on Monday and am still awaiting a reply.

What is the refund policy on abortive telephone calls to support?

What is the refund policy on being unable to use broadband whilst waiting for help?

Jackie
8 REPLIES
N/A

The policy seems to be ignore them and they'll eventually go away!
N/A

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums.

Would you like to provide some details of the query or problem and we'll see if we can do anything to help or advise?
N/A

Correspondence via ticket system:

"Link:CUAremoved 3rd Party Account Manag 5:44pm, Sunday 20th August 2006

Dear Mrs Surtees,
Sorry about the problems you have had with our phone system. The best way to get intouch with our support teams is here via the Questions.

I will monitor the phone system and see if we can replicate the problem

Regards,
Link:CUAremoved

Your comment 6:16pm, Monday 21st August 2006

Tracey has received an email to say her broadband has been activated, but the ADSL light on the modem is only green when she is not on the telephone. If she picks up the phone, the light goes off.

When the ADSL light is green and she trys to connect, she gets the message 'No dial tone'.

Could you check this out for her please.

Your comment 8:09am, Wednesday 23rd August 2006

Tracey has uninstalled & reinstalled the modem, but this has not changed the situation.

In addition, she rang you twice yesterday and was on the phone for 39 and 35 minutes. Both times, after all the music and announcements, the phone rang, then disconnected, just like I described above.

As you can imagine, she is very angry, as I am - I recommended you.

I hope that when this problem is sorted out, you credit the cost of 3 aborted phone calls of nearly two hours at local call rates, and the days she has not been able to access PlusNet."

I've now set her up with a dial-up connection and asked her to go through the online troubleshooting system.

But I want to know why the 0845 calls are being disconnected.

Thanks

Jackie
N/A

Hi there,

Thanks for that. It should give us somthing to go on.

I have removed the CSA name from the post as per the rules. An easy mistake to make. Smiley

Looking at the detail of the problem would lead me to suggest that you check the ADSL filters.

Each telephone point which is in use in the premises needs to be filtered, including any sky boxes or fax machines.

Advice regarding ADSL Wiring and filters can be found here

Have a look at that guide and check the local setup.

Post back if the problem persists.
N/A

We've sort of solved it. I asked Tracey to take her computer to the main BT socket and plug the DSL cable into the microfilter there. It worked.

I then asked her to take the other microfilter from her office to the main socket and try that. It worked.

So, the microfilters are OK.

I then asked her to try another extension lead from the main socket to her office. Same problem with the modem, no green light.

Could the length of the extension lead be the problem?

Thanks

Jackie
Laugh
Grafter

My father-in-law had a similar problem. His was that he couldn't get an ADSL connection unless he first used the phone? It was a funny one! He had a normal extension lead that went into a spare room where the computer was. He couldn't get a connection if he put a filter on the main socket but it sort of worked if he had a filter on the extension lead. But the connection was lost if the phone rang!

It was fixed by using a filter on the main socket and using an ADSL extention lead into the spare room (as opposed to a standard telephone extension lead).

I hope that makes sense :?
shellsong
Grafter

The length of the extension is not likely to have a major effect but the quality and how well it is connected is another question.

A few years ago we had an extension fitted by BT but after a while we started getting problems on both phones which only cleared up when we disconnected the extension from the master socket-- even the work of BT engineers is not to be relied on! Wink
N/A

My Father had also a similar problem. The problem turned out to be a faulty extension cable aswell as a faulty 2 way adapter.

Regards,