cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephone support answering times

Community Veteran

I attempted to make two support calls to Plusnet yesterday (one at 6:20pm and one at 8:30pm), but gave up after holding and being told by the recorded messages that answering times were 30 minutes and 35 minutes respectively.

This is not the first time this issue has been raised.

What are Plusnet doing about it?

Half an hour to answer a support call is completely disgusting in my opinion.

Having personally managed three separate support desks myself, with targets ranging from 80% of calls in 20 seconds, to 98% of calls in 30 seconds, it amazes me that a company can even allow their support desk to get into such a shambolic state that it takes 30 minutes for a call to be answered.

Also (on BT rates), a lo-call number (0845) is charged at 1p per minute during evenings and weekends, whereas a national or local is 5.5p for the first hour - so for every minute longer than 5.5 minutes, you are actually costing the customer more money on an 0845 number during evenings and weekends.

During daytime 6am - 6pm, the 0845 makes no difference, but during evenings and weekends, the 0845 does not drop down to the same 5.5p for an hour rate, as local and national calls.

Perhaps until call waiting times are reduced to below this figure during evenings and weekends, Plusnet should publish the 0114 2200000 geograpghical number also? As this would be a cheaper option whilst ever call waiting times are this high.
51 REPLIES
N/A

Try waiting donkeys to be then be put back on hold for 25 minutes, like Abbey ddi to me. Evil
Most customer support lines are utter shite.

Not only because of thw wait, that because after the wait, you get some foreign twat who doesn't even speak the language on the other end.
N/A

Your thinking of either Three, Abbey or Barclay's there then Smiley

I have immense trouble with Indian call centres - aside from the fact that they want to talk a mile away from the headset, you have to repeat each sentance half a dozen times for them to understand you... It was one reason I left Three...

But I digress - I had thought that Plus.Net telephone support was in the UK... Even if not, I had thought the number of representatives had been increased to decrease the wait time.
Neil_A
Grafter

Hi there,

Our call centre is here in Sheffield and there are absolutely no plans to outsource to India (or wherever).

Looking at the queue at the moment there are 7 in the queue so should only be 5 mins waiting time. Apologies if you're having longer waits than that. We have a staff meeting this afternoon which means we may not be as up to strength on the phones as we usually are.

We publish the calls waiting stats on our website so you can select the quietest time to call in or use the contact us tool instead.

Thanks
N/A

Re: Telephone support answering times

What are Plusnet doing about it?

not much, seams to be your answer
probshaw
Dabbler

waiting time

well in that case why is it that at the moment it says there are no calls waiting but when I called 10 mins ago I wastold that you are training and there would be extended waiting times. I gave up after 10 mins.
Last night I twice waited for more then 15 mins and on the first call was cut of and the sacond time gave up.
That is rubbish service for a business product.
JonathanW
Grafter

Currently, when you call in and are advised of the call waiting time, this is entered into the system manually which is why the times can be somewhat out. Where as the data on the website is taken directly from the phone system and so can be more up to date.

As for what we're doing about it, we're in the middle of another recruitment cycle, in order to get more agents on the phones, though these take time to complete and have an impact on the call queues.

We also have a new phone system in the works, which will improve the customer journey through the phone system. Whilst also hopefully improving answer times and so on.

Though to counter this, the start of this week saw the launch of 24/7 Metronet support, which has certainly had an impact on things, due to the massive changes that were undertaken as part of platform and backend integration.
Community Veteran

Its all very well publishing the current call waiting times on the portal...

The only reason I was trying to call on the phone, was that my internet conection was stuffed. It was/is running at 4 kilobits.

I couldnt remember the support number, and it was quicker to get my mobile out, which had died, plug it in to charge it up for a few seconds so I could read my brothers phone number - give him a call, get him to log onto the net and ask him to find the number.

For all I know it could have said 8 minutes current waiting time on the web - I couldnt connect to see it, so I had no choice than to go by what it said on the messages, which stated half an hour or more.

This question has been asked numerous times, and we always get "we are currently recruiting more". Enough to drop the call times from half an hour?

It would therefore appear that the staff numbers are changed as a reaction to customer support call time, rather than proactively. Why are Plusnet waiting until there is a serious issue before taking measures to fix it.

Plusnet yet again post a massive percentage rise in profits compared to less than half as much percentage wise in increased expenditure...

Where will this stop? Are the call waiting times yet another sign of running a skeleton service in order to maximise profit?
probshaw
Dabbler

jwhiteing

I can understand staff training. However I would never let my customers hear I am training my staff so your service will have to suffer, which is what your message really means. This would not bother me too much if it was not connected to another issue in that after my account was transphered.The voice side of my line started to cross connect with another line. In fact I can still hear the conversations of another phone user when I am on the phone.
This worked perfectly before the transpher and started imediatly it was transphed. The responce I got from your support team was phone BT its there problem. Why should I plus net broke it plus net should fix it. The other problem is that this is a business account and credit card details are often taken over the phone. This can not now be done has the line is not secure any more. Thats why I have been trying to phone your support.
N/A

Why should I plus net broke it plus net should fix it.

Just to clarify. Plus Net have nothing to do with your telephone line. They didnt touch it nor can they touch it. What ever happened to your phone line is entirely the responsibility of BT.

Someone somewhere has carried out work to your phone line or someone elses and caused a mess. Plus Net did not in anyway do this or contribute to it. They are not allowed. Only BT can play with your line.

Ring 150 and get BT to fix your phone. Its their job and their responsibility.
probshaw
Dabbler

Already have and been told it will take 4 days to sort. Seems very strange that the fault occured at exactly the same time as the connection was changed. Did bt do any work on plus nets behave in order to change?
N/A

They may have fiddled around at the exchange - and being generally incompetent, they only do half a job...
Community Veteran

its possible that BT have been doing some work on your exchange or junction box at around the same time that your problems started but PN definatly have nothing to do with it, they have no access to the voice side of your line or anything to do with the hardware that splits your line into voice and adsl
Community Veteran

Probably, yes.

Unfortunately anything and everything that needs to be done to change the speed, move adsl, activate, deactivate etc etc has to be done by BT.

When you request just about anyhting to be done to your ADSL, it is BT that actually do the work. If something goes wrong with the voice side of your line as part of an ADSL request, you will still need to speak to BT, as they will have made the change that resulted in the error.

Same from my perspective. My fault is with my ADSL, and I am 99.9% certain it is to do with the exchange being red status for so long, and perhaps a dodgy or flaky DSLAM. But can I contact BT, no. I have to go through Plusnet and raise the issue with them.

Id love to be able to call BT and tear someone off a strip, as my connection being down is affecting my new club, its affecting me booking my holiday and sorting out my finances for the new kitchen I am having fitted this weekend.

When it comes to voice faults its different - you get to speak to the company that runs the show. And let rip at the people who are responsible for the problem.
probshaw
Dabbler

oh well

I still think that if bt where doing the work for plus net then they should be the the one to contact them as they are the originator but ill put this down to a diffrance of opinion and forget it. Did not want to shout at anybody just wanted it sorting. Guess Ill just have to wait for it to sort its self out. Bt are on the job anyway. Must be as infuriating for plus net as for me if bt keep cocking up!!