Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telehouse North - power outage

LastRoMan
Grafter

Thanks Dave,
That's nice to know - except the reason I tried the new 0808 number was because I could not connect in order to report a fault and as you know the phone system was down too. I think this is where I came in! :?

Any how it is good you sorted that so if I do need to use it, I will know I have to report a fault first.

On the plus side - no pun intended - I think PN overall did a very good job to restore order comparatively quickly given the seriousness of the outage. Cheesy

Conrad
11 REPLIES
LastRoMan
Grafter

Correct me if I am wrong but (I have now deleted the many updates) the state of affairs following the power outage at Telehouse North - did I read correctly that both the connectivity equipment AND the telephone support service is powered from the same place - hence the reason both failed together.

Would it not be better to have the 2 functions powered from different sources then when one system failed we could get help via the other?

Also when PN kindly give us a Free 0808 number to be used if/ when Broadband connectivity fails would it not be better to have it routed through a separate facility?

Conrad
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

We have equipment in several different data centres, up in Sheffield we have our primary co-lo facility, Internet House (or secondary data centre, also the base the support team) and Technology Building where other parts of the business are located.

Down in London we have suites in two Telehouse data centres as well as Telecity and Redbus (for some of the Metronet stuff). servicestatus.net is located offsite in Manchester.

Everything is spread around quite well so there is resiliancy within the network, but when you lose something like an entire datasuite (the power outage affected other businesses as well as ourselves) it's going to cause a big impact because you can't have everything located in a suite by itself. It just isn't practical.

More than half of our broadband customers were still online because Telehouse East was unaffected, similarly many of our dial-up customers were still able to connect because they connected to another part of the network.

Had we still been using our old phone system then this problem wouldn't have affected it, but the old system is located at Internet House so if a similar problem had affected us here we would have seen the phone system and portal, email and Homepages affected.

The sort of problem we had on Thursday is very difficult to plan for, but given what happened I think our network guys did extremely well with a very tough situation.
LastRoMan
Grafter

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response. However many centres you use currently - and I am aware you do not have all your eggs in one basket, I thought it very unusual that Broadband connectivity, free 0808 number and telephone support should all be affected together.

In the event when my connection went down I:

- rebooted my Router
    - tried a Tracert command - which failed
    - tried the 0808 number - which would not verify my password
    - rang the telephone internet satus line - a message informing me it was unavailable
- leaving me wondering if the fault was with the telephone exchange, or what

I am simply saying should you perhaps consider using a few more baskets still!

Conrad
Community Veteran

To be honest, I assumed that when I couldn't get through by phone (only one 'unavailable' message, all the other times I tried ringing I didn't even get a ring-tone or anything!) or connect on the free dial-up number that there were so many people trying to get through at once that the system was overwhelmed by others doing the same as me.

This was the sort of thing that used to happen regularly when I was with AOhell dial-up before I changed to PlusNet broadband.

I use a Mac and the connection diagnostics available via the Mail program showed me that the problem was with my ISP, which confirmed what I thought from looking at my router log (Netgear DG834GT).

First I knew exactly what had happened was when I received the Service Status emails, by which time I was, of course, connected again. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly things were back up-and-running again after what had obviously been a major incident - well done PlusNet!
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
fnuseless
Dabbler

service outage

Ever since this outage my connection has been pants.

Have raised tickets but was told to test and come back having now tested i have waited near 24 hours for someone to respond.

This i unlike the old days when you would have got a response with in 4-6 hours.

things are stating to look bleak from here
:twisted:
James
Grafter

Hi there,

I've just had a quick look and can see that you have run some speed tests and they're pretty poor.

Can you confirm that you are plugged into your master socket, have tried using different filters and that you have tried a few reboots?
fnuseless
Dabbler

.2 meg broadband

yes m8

have tried that have even pluged in old modem and it is just the same tried connecting at a different point . although the laptop thought it had connectivity nothing came up.
starting to get really cheesed at this 1 :idea:
James
Grafter

Re: .2 meg broadband

have tried that have even pluged in old modem and it is just the same tried connecting at a different point . although the laptop thought it had connectivity nothing came up.

What is the actual problem you are experiencing? Is it just slow speeds or are you having trouble getting connected to the internet itself?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote adjusted so as not to be a full quote of the preceding post (tut tut)
fnuseless
Dabbler

speeds my problem

spped is my only problem.
modem for network connects first time every time

so if you can look into speed for me.
strange that my uploading is quicker than downloading.
wonder has my line been max'ed Huh
i have been been notified
:arrow:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

- tried a Tracert command - which failed
- tried the 0808 number - which would not verify my password

The 0808 number isn't switched on by default, it's only activated once you've raised a fault so that's likely the cause of the problem of that.
fnuseless
Dabbler

conection speed

got the friaco number removed last night along with the message that my fault had been fixed.

which would have been all right if it had .

download speed is still 27kbs.

and i don't the the friaco anyway but i could do with the speed i'm paying for

:idea: