cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk me out of migrating!

N/A

A bit of background: I'm a light (<10Gb/month) user on an annual contract, which is due to expire next month. I've been with PlusNet now for over 3 years, in one form or another, and for the vast majority of that time, they've been a great ISP.

However, I subscribe to a third party usenet service which was unusable (<30kbps) for over a month when the blanket traffic shaping policy was put in place.

Although I'm glad to report that download speeds are now back to normal, the whole episode has left a bad taste in the mouth. It strikes me that:

- The traffic shaping was introduced unannounced, and the policy was denied even after customers reported problems.

- All usenet users were impacted for well over a month. And yet the official line has been that this is permitted under the standard T&Cs. No apology (that I've seen). No guarantee that they won't pull a similar stunt in the future.

I'd be crazy to sign up for another year, right?!!

Tell me I'm wrong!
20 REPLIES
rammie1976
Grafter

I guess it depends on what you want/need from an ISP.

At the moment I'm financially embarrassed, so I want a fairly reliable mostly cheap ordinary html/email-type service - so I'm on BB+. Cheesy
N/A

Hi There

I am a little surprised to see that your traffic was slower on usenet as you use less then 15Gb all round and no customer has reported the fact that the first 15Gb was worse during the changes in fact the reports have been the exact opposite so I am sorry that your experience was not the same.

We are trying to ensure that customers such as your self do not see these issues of slowdown and we will continue to do the same.
N/A

Here is my opinion cushwake

If you are going to re-subscribe (Which i dont recommend) sign up for a monthly contract so you can leave if it all turns sour. Outside NNTP suppliers like giganews / easynews dont work well on PN premier anymore. That is unless you like being at 28kb/s permantly for the rest of the month when you have exceeded 15gb.

I envy that fact that you have a choice to leave PN. Myself and many others are stuck for 8months or more.
N/A

Thanks for the reply, Stewart.

Presumably, you'll be able to check the tickets I raised when the problem originally arose. Usenet was unusable for over a month on my connection (yet fine at work). I was eventually told that traffic shaping was in place, and despite my low usage levels, my account would be treated no differently.

It's my understanding that the 15Gb usenet limit (which suits me fine) has only recently been introduced? The problem I have is the weeks I was unable to use the usenet service after shaping was introduced. It seems bizarre that such a policy was put into production unannounced, and seemingly, untested so that it impacted even light users.

There are so many good things about PlusNet - this forum being one - but obviously I don't want to be caught in a similar situation again.
N/A

I always understood that if you are on a yearly contract and the twelve months is up then you dont have to re-subscribe.
You just keep paying your monthly dues, until such time you wish to leave giving 30 days notice.
Maybe I'm wrong on this one.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

No, you're correct. Whilst an annual contract is always an annual contract in name, after the end of the initial 12 months the cancellation notice is 1 month, just like a monthly contract.
N/A

@OP

Notice how nobody (+Net minions) are gonna talk you out of migrating...says it all really! Wink

As you've said, generally okay...duff in some places. Just keep paying your subs once a month and if it all goes t**ts up again, 30 days and you can escape!.
N/A

Look at the posts these days guys, it`s all bad ! There is virtually nothing good to say about PN, and that`s only looking at the bulk of of the topic subjects. I am also seeing alot of post regarding alot of Uncapped ISP`s that are soon to be capped, but the only time i read that seems to be from a Moderator, well i`m not saying monkee see monkee do but i think it`s worth a look round for another deal, i think there is more to be offered that what were all on at the moment. Good luck.

Regards.
ChrisR
Grafter

The majority of the posts are negative because it's the negative people that post here. The other several thousand customers are happy with the service, like me.
N/A

@chrisrimmer
Yep, plenty of negative stuff going on but not necessarily all from negative people. They have problems which mainly go unanswered sufficiently or contradicts with comments elsewhere. There is history behind many of the complaints and it effects some big time, wait 'til you've experienced several months\years and maybe your comments will change in the future...maybe not.

The OP obviously had issues which made him/her pause for thought before getting it on for another term. As it is, their annual tie in is over and they are free to move - so long as the notice period is timed correctly cos even that is fraught with a sting in the tale if not.

The strange thing is two PN staff replied but did not really offer a reason for the OP not to migrate away :?: :?
LiamM
Grafter

You are exactly the customer Plusnet is designing it's products for, I don't think you will have any problems. And it's not like your re-signing up for another year, you're onto a rolling monthly contract after your initial 12 months are up.

I'd stay.
N/A

I'd stay.

Yeah we`d all stay if the before now pretty good service continued and did`nt keep getting turned inside out quicker than a pair of my old underpants.

Sounds silly i know but there is a consructive point to my input.

Hey i feel a locked topic coming on Smiley
N/A

I think that most people are agreed that PlusNet are a pretty good ISP for most of the time. There are features such as the Member Centre that are light years ahead of the competition that I've looked at.

As a certified Cisco engineer with experience of how others treat Internet connections, I also agree that the traffic shaping policy is absolutely necessary in this day and age. PlusNet are being proactive about this.

Which is why I really want to stay. It seems to me that the whole traffic shaping issue has been a PR disaster that could have been avoided if:

- The policy was announced and discussed beforehand.

- The policy was tested to see how it would affect their customers before being put into production. We use lab environments for this. Dropping 10% of my usenet packets killed my throughput by over 70%. Not very well thought out!

What concerns me is that no one at PlusNet has held up their hand and said that they make a mistake. Indeed, Stewart has already expressed doubts that I had a problem at all. Which worries me that a similar problem is just waiting to happen again.

Everyone makes mistakes. I want to hear that PlusNet have learned from theirs and put procedures in place that will stop this sort of thing happening in the future. Then I'll stay.

Richard
N/A

You know, I went for the BB Premier in the hope I was getting the Ferrari of PN deals, only to find this supercar feel more like a second-hand Morris Minor.

It seems to me that I can only use my Ferrari through the whole gear range on the German autobahn (HTTP etc, Gold Services). I can't seem to get out of 1st gear on the B Roads (Usenet, P2P) now I've hit teh 15GB speed limit. Even between 01.00 and 02.00 in the morning I rarely get to overtake anything more than a milk float.

I really don't think the 15GB usenet cap is acceptable. Just set it to 100GB for all downloads regardless of protocol used - at least this would be inline with PN's SUP to which we all pretty much agree with.