cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Talk

N/A

Talk Talk

just wondering if anyone has seen this deal from them http://www.talktalk.co.uk
am already with talk talk for my house landline so this temptation looks good on paper :roll: and since plus net have pulled the wool over my eyes i will be leaving them so i have been hunting around for a isp and it looks like talk talk will be getting my money.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Talk Talk

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good luck (you'll need it). :lol: :lol: :lol:
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
LiamM
Grafter

Talk Talk

I find that a little worrying to be honest.

Talktalk Free Broadband is only available on Talktalk unbundled exchanges. Of which they currently have 0. Yes... thats right. Not a single unbundled exchange just yet.

They *plan* to enable exchanges covering 70% of the population within a year, with the first one due to go live in July all being well. Thats why when you search for your number on their checker, it sometimes says you won't be able to get broadband until next year!

You have to fully unbundle your line to their equipment to qualify also.

If your on an exchange that they don't plan to unbundle, then there is an extra charge of £10 /month payable. And even on BT IPStream provided ADSL the service is so oversubscribed they reckon the activation will be at least end of July.

And if that wasn't enough, you have to tie yourself in for 18months with no way of getting out without incurring very costly charges. P2P is very heavily restricted between 8am - midnight and even off peak it's still restricted.

I personally find the way they've gone about this a little worrying. Huge advertising campaign, website stating 70% of the UK covered when they dont have a single exchange worries me too. Clearly it's about trying to get as much money in as soon as possible to help fund the unbundling that they havent actually yet done but claim to have.
___oDiN__
Grafter

Talk Talk

sounds like a lot of plusnets activities if you ask me

like 8mb broadband last year..package changes and price drops without notifying customers, maxdsl promises without any timeframes......need i go on
N/A

Talk Talk

lol and plus net are just so fantastic dont think so 3gb usage on peak times and it goes on they change your contract without informing you and think they can do what ever they like plus net have made there mind up on what type of customer they want and bye the looks of the pole further down a lot more people like myself will be moving on i am already with talk talk for my landline and to get this added on is great and as for plus net with there so called 8mb is rubbish its all down to bt exchange in your area if there going to upgrade so i know i aint going to get 8mb con so its good bye and have fun with the way plus net organized there 8mb change over lmao dont throw stones at another company that you aint even tryed
mcclim
Grafter

Talk Talk

I would never touch TalkTalk Broad band, you may complan about the long wait on Plus.Nets customer support, but at least they answer the phone and you sometimes get a sensible answer out of them, where as TalkTalk have never answered the phone anytime I phoned. If they did answer you would get charged 50p per minuter for ANY type of technical support.....

I would stick with plus.net if I was you, talktalk maybe free but you do get what you pay for....
N/A

Talk Talk

They *plan* to enable exchanges covering 70% of the population within a year, with the first one due to go live in July all being well.

You sound overly pessimistic. I checked a few numbers (before they closed down the site, because of high levels of demand!) and found my exchange (in N Wales) is expected to be on at the end of June, and Chester, not too far away, at end of July. Bulldog has been available for coming up to a year, so I suspect TT is looking to match their coverage (no sign of Easynet/UK Online here)

...you have to tie yourself in for 18months with no way of getting out without incurring very costly charges. P2P is very heavily restricted between 8am - midnight and even off peak it's still restricted.

While I certainly don't like the 18 month contract, and would not personally choose TT (but don't touch peer-to-peer so that aspect makes no difference to me), for many households, it will only be the teenagers unhappy about that aspect - parents could be forgiven for switching on cost grounds, and will get their teenagers to do other activities - ie more than using the PC to siphon off GBs of DVDs and music !!

Clearly it's about trying to get as much money in as soon as possible to help fund the unbundling that they havent actually yet done but claim to have.
I don't know that they claim they have done it - last I saw was that they were making noises about suing BT if there are delays. They are a big business with expansion across Europe, and the finances will have been explored before they launched this. Whether speeds will be adequate, or some people will be put off by comments about their existing service, is going to have to be a "watch this space".

They are getting in on the combination of landline, calls and broadband a bit ahead of BSkyB, which must be gearing up to do something similar. Toucan already has a combination package (landline, mobile and broadband) but I've not been following whether their broadband is any good.

It's certainly not a service I'd recommend, or choose, because I know that there were negative comments last year, mostly from heavy downloaders, but for many older surfers who won't even be online in the evenings, rather than the 9-5 office/education users, it would give some a reasonable service for surfing and e-mail, at a price they will find attractive.

Look back at the December stats for Broadband Plus users, and you will see 20-30,000 were using under 1 GB a month. Those people may find switching from a service with a 3 GB "peak hours" limit to some similar service, but paying around a fiver less (*), and getting voice calls (to family and friends here and abroad) quite a tempting deal.

(*) about a fiver less than combined BT + ISP fees (11.00+14.99 vs 20.99)

I'd say that Plus.Net and many others may be a little worried about the impact, concerning their lightest users, who must make them profit as the traffic they generate is tiny compared with heavy/average family use.

The next thing to annoy PN customers will be that some relatively new users will have to pay PN their deferred activation fees of 40 +VAT or 50 +VAT, if they decide to leave right now, so a delay (if there is one) for the arrival of TT service won't be so big a problem. Only thing will be if TT end up as stars of Watchdog if the speeds are poor, or CS staff are cause for complaint.
N/A

Talk Talk

Have to say is very tempting, we have a secondary bt line that we have connected to griffin (even worse then PN). Talk Talk can offer broadband/phone and line rental for £20.99

PN and other ISP's are going to have to pull something out the hat to keep us £40.00+ users me thinks
N/A

Talk Talk

... you would get charged 50p per minuter for ANY type of technical support.....

I believe PlusNet are about to introduce this latest innovation to their product range; it may catch on and other isp's will follow in their trail blazing path. Wink