Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Plusnet Business Service?

Studio_Two
Grafter

Hello,

Could anyone share their experiences using any of the PlusNet Business products?

We already have a 512k connection with another service provider (including domain hosting and a POP3 mailbox for collecting emails) and would like to upgrade to a faster service.

Are there any "traffic management" or download limits on the Business packages? I noticed that business traffic is "always given priority".

TIA
Stephen
8 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Stephen,

I have been a business customer since 2002.

The business products are not subject to the SUP and as such have no restrictions in place.

The accounts are subject to the Acceptable use policy which means dont abuse the connection and dont download half the internet.

In terms of reliability of my connection I have no complaints and acheive consistant speeds both over the company VPN and normal browsing/ downloads ets.

We have a network of 1 server and 10 PC's connected, combined with 3 outworkers.

It works for us and works well.
Studio_Two
Grafter

Thanks, that's good information.

Just out of interest, how do your outworkers connect? We do not have this facility as yet. However I was considering installing a terminal server (or just setting up a single PC with RDP to start with).

Thanks,
Stephen
N/A

The server is Windows SBS 2003 Premium and the outworkers connect via the Windows VPN client, configurable from the SBS box, via Netgear routers from XP Pro boxes.

Thats about the long and the short of it. The network was set up inhouse and is maintained by our own team. So far, we have had little difficulty and it works well.
N/A

Mark, may want to check your facts on the business accounts. I was driven to (reluctantly) migrate out through the nntp useage allowance being applied to my account.
Unless Plusnet policy has changed since my departure the business accounts are subject to the clean allowance limits for the 'less acceptable' protocols.

Great products for web browsing and email though!
JonathanW
Grafter

It was the case that the original nntp usage allowance, from November last year, was applied accross the board. However this has since changed and whilst Business accounts are subject to the AUP there is no specific policy in place.
N/A

Thanks, that's good information.

Just out of interest, how do your outworkers connect? We do not have this facility as yet. However I was considering installing a terminal server (or just setting up a single PC with RDP to start with).

Thanks,
Stephen

I'd recommend a couple of IPCop based firewalls with VPN tunnelling configured between the appropriate sites. http://ipcop.org

I have these working very well and use RDP to Win2K3 TS with no noticable performance issues. Of course, having the VPN running ensures that you only accept VPN connections from "inside" the network.

And as a point of note...Windows XP Pro and Win2K based PCs dont actually require Term Serv. licenses....only found that one out a few months back!! Shockedops:
N/A

Great products for web browsing and email though!

Sorry cant agree with that.

I have had no limits placed on my account or on any of the business accounts which I manage. Not sure what happened in your case, but it must have been a rare event.
Studio_Two
Grafter

And as a point of note...Windows XP Pro and Win2K based PCs dont actually require Term Serv. licenses....only found that one out a few months back!! Shockedops:

Hello,

That's correct for Terminal Services 2000, but incorrect for Terminal Services 2003.

In the Case of Terminal Services 2003, TS CALS are required for all Windows operating systems. If you purchase a copy of Windows XP today, you will have to purchase a TS CAL. If you purchased a copy of XP Pro prior to 24th April 2003, you can apply to Microsoft for a (FREE) retrospective CAL here: http://licensecode.one.microsoft.com/transition/

If you haven't yet done this, I recommend you do so ASAP as it is a free offer and willl save you approximately £100 per seat should you upgraade to TS 2003 in the future..

If you have windows 2K ,you will need to purchase TS CAL.

HTH
Stephen