Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching router off overnight....

pawhe955
Grafter

Hi all,

Had a quick look, and couldn't find that this had been asked previously.... but in line with the current "green" thinking about turning off anything that might normally be left in "standby" (e.g. TV's, etc.), I've just been asked whether there would be any problems if an ADSL router was put on a timer switch, so it was powered off overnight, every night..??

I know some people think that power-cycling electronic devices that perhaps have been designed to be left on might shorten their life expectency (due to the power "surge" on every power-on), but I'm more interested in knowing if it's likely to be an issue with the ADSL part - e.g having to re-synch with the exchange every day, etc....

Any views or advice welcome... thanks,
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I switch my router off every night. No problem at all in the morning when I switch it on. It connects automatically as normal.
N/A

I turn mine off every night, if I am not using it for long periods there is no point leaving it on.

Unless you repeatedly switch it on or off do not worry about the power-cycle damage myth. One or twice a day is hardly cycling.

In reality people have newer bigger and better hard drives, routers etc *long* before any damage would take effect even if you sat there all day powering something on and off.

Apart from the power savings, the damned LEDs drive me nuts when I wander through my computer room at night if the router is left on.
craig_p
Grafter

My dg834 g router is on a timer as well. Im also on max dsl so if there is a problem with the sync rate on the line, turning it off each night will help BT at the exchange to re sync to your lines m s r after about 3 days.

Dont worry about power cycles either. If electronic equipment is going to fail, it usually goes in the first few months or it will last for ever. I have a panasonic tv which is 10 yrs old and still going fine.

These are just my findings. Hope this helps :lol: Cheesy
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

There's no problem turning your router off each night, it actually helps in bad weather (as the sync speed can end up much lower than normal if the router is left on, resulting in a poor IP profile) and in particular electrical storms (you'd be surprised how many modems and routers get fried by lightning!).
N/A

Re: Switching router off overnight....

but in line with the current "green" thinking about turning off anything that might normally be left in "standby" (e.g. TV's, etc.)

Havn't you heard ? Global warming is a lie Cheesy
in the 1970's there was a global cooling scare .. funny that eh Cheesy
waldron
Grafter

Having just come back from a week in Las Vegas, I'm not sure that switching my TV off standby is going to have much impact.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I worked out how much carbon routers contributed a while back, it was something like 10,000 routers switched off overnight was the same as taking a car off the road (I forget the exact figures now).

As for Vegas, fantastic place, not been for nearly 3 years now though. Maybe time to go back Smiley A lot of the electricty though comes from the Hoover Dam.
N/A

Crass Vegas

As for Vegas, fantastic place...

Surely you mean hell on earth. All that light pollution ruining everything for many dozens of miles around.

Such waste and for what - all to promote a bit of gambling. The world (well at least the USA) is mad :-(

Crass Vegas is one place I would never want to go to.

...electricty though comes from the Hoover Dam.

So what. All electricity is fed into a central grid. That is why getting your power from a "green" supplier is such a joke. Everybody's electricity has the same percentage of green/nuclear/fossil power regardless. So, just because LV is near to the Hoover Dam does not make the waste there justifiable in the slightest.

Forget the way they waste power in LV it is a lame excuse for not doing the right thing yourself, if you don't need anything powered then switch it off and save yourself a bit of dosh at the same time :-)

Bill.

Retired Nuclear Engineer, who actually does know where power comes from and how much is wasted without sane reason.
mapletree
Grafter

(you'd be surprised how many modems and routers get fried by lightning!).

Yes. My old router got fried a few months ago, along with the NIC on one of my PCs Sad. The microfilter and phone were fine, however.
BoneMan
Grafter

(you'd be surprised how many modems and routers get fried by lightning!).

Oh no I wouldn't Cheesy . Happened to me about 6 months ago. Big crack of thunder overhead and then one dead modem Cry

Still, ended up with a Netgear rather than the previous "No Namer" from DABS so every cloud does have a silver lining Wink

Regards,

Ray
RobDickson
Grafter

If you're going to turn your router off, make sure that you turn the power supply off at the mains socket, don't just use the switch on the router (if it has one). Although the no-load consumption of modern AC/DC converters is lower than it used to be, it's still there.

As far as buying renewable electricity is concerned, it's not a joke. Of course you're correct about everything being supplied through the grid, but, by buying renewable electricity, you're supporting the building of new renewable power stations.

Most "green" tariffs state that enough renewable electricity will be generated to supply everybody that pays for the "green" tariff. Of course this isn't how electricty is actually bought and sold in the pool, but I still don't agree that it's a joke.
N/A

Re: Crass Vegas

As for Vegas, fantastic place...

Surely you mean hell on earth. All that light pollution ruining everything for many dozens of miles around.

Such waste and for what - all to promote a bit of gambling. The world (well at least the USA) is mad :-(

Crass Vegas is one place I would never want to go to.

You sound like a right barrel of laughs...
SCookie
Grafter

I switch mine off every night with no problems. Greener and more secure!
RobDickson
Grafter

Good point. Nobody will be able to use your xDSL connection if the router's turned off at the mains socket.