cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching To Cable

N/A

Switching To Cable

Hi,

Having been without a connection now for over 3 weeks and today told that i will be put back to 512kb because my line obviously doesn't support 2mb or even 1mb I am faced with the prospect of leaving PN in order to get cable broadband.

I am contemplating this decision because although I will be put back to 512kb I will still pay £21.99 pm. This is fair as the package does stipulate that the service is up to 2mb. However, I am not satisfied with this and so fear I will be leaving the excellent PN.

Anyone have any similar thoughts and care to share any research you have done into switching? I know I can receive cable as the previous occupants had it installed.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

SS
6 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Switching To Cable

Your situation is unfortunate. BT charge Plusnet the same price whatever speed you are provisioned at, and Plusnet have passed these savings on, by offering 1 & 2Mb connections for the same price as standard 512k used to cost.

You have to pay line rental on a cable connection also as far as I am aware, so if you're going to go Cable - then it would probably be worth going the whole hog and transferring your telephone, broadband and TV service to cable. There are soom good deals out there at the moment.
N/A

Switching To Cable

If it's TW you're planning on going to, you don't need to transfer the phone, as there's no longer any incentive to do so (and TW basic 3-2-1 package isn't that good.)

However, currently you're going to have to pay TW £35/month for 2Mbit, but at least you'll get 2Mbit from them.
N/A

Switching To Cable

Cable is what I am thinking - TW (Blueyonder). It might cost £10 a month more but since it is their own network you'd actually get 2Mb without the lame excuise od 'oh its BT so we can't do anything about it'. Maybe LLU would get to be more available in a year or so and cheaper - so Blueyonder could be a short term option for 2Mb.

Thinking about it, the quality of BT's network is iffy for many users. When speeds go over 2Mb many more people will be mighty teed off that they can't get it. At least cable will not suffer that. So it might be a long term option for many. I do not think my connection will go much above 2Mb (which I am not getting anyway).
LiamM
Grafter

Switching To Cable

Actually, Cable is generally far more contended a network than BTs. I know a few people on Cable Broadband and they very rarely get the same speeds as I do.
N/A

Switching To Cable

I was with Blueyonder a few years ago and had no issue with speed. However, I did not like their customer service attitude which, frankly, stank. That was why I left and joined PN. Maybe things have changed since then on both counts.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) quote removed as it was just a copy of the preceding post and not needed.
N/A

Switching To Cable

Indeed, contention on cable is very different to that of ADSL.

Cable is normaly contended per street, rather than the per VP model that BT use. However, you can consider a street as a VP the way that cable works.

The problem is, where a VP with ADSL may be grouped with 250 plus users, cable will only see a fraction of that.

It increases the chances of one person reducing/wrecking the experiance for others.

In my eyes, cable is on par with ADSL. Speeds are better, but this is due to the length between your property and the termination point. ADSL however provides are greater choice of providers and services. The best cable can offer there is the franchise owner for your area or AOL with one provider.

One point I will argue in favour of BT, is the point above about.

Thinking about it, the quality of BT's network is iffy for many users. When speeds go over 2Mb many more people will be mighty teed off that they can't get it.

BT can't change the rules of science, there are limits to technology. To put it in a context people file easier to understand is CPUs. Yes, Item/AMD increase the speed quite often, but there are limits which need to be worked on to achieve better. Otherwise they would be churning them out much faster than they are.

BT purchased the network from the government many moons ago. They did at one time want to rip it out nd replace it with fibre, which would have seen us on very fast speeds today (if not, very little effort in terms of 2 years work rather than 15 years).

Unfortunatly, the Thatcher government rejected the request to do this, stateing such a test would be more competative for cable franchises to do.

Fat load of good that did us. It saw the 2 big ones in the red from which they are only just recovering. They are only just restarting there rollout programs, which will see it benefit very few and not for some time.