cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched from BB+ to Premier and still getting -200kbps Peak

N/A

Recently I have been getting very slow connection speeds at Peak times, my connection has been dropping to anything from 200-70 kbps. I was on BB+ and opened a ticket on the help pages to inform PN of the problem, i never got a straight answer to my problem but then noticed I was very near to my 4Gb useage allowance and it was only 3 weeks into the billing month. I asked on the ticket if i was to upgrade to Premier would I notice an increase in speed, this is what i was told:

Jonathan Defries CSC Analyst 6:38pm, Monday 12th February 2007
Dear Mr Dawson,
Looking at your account usage, I would agree, the Premier account would certainly appear to be more suited to your needs.

If you make the upgrade through the upgrade link on the portal, the upgrade will be near instant and once you reconnect to the service you will find that the speed of service you are receiving will be higher.

Regards,
Jonathan Defries

I switched my net on tonight and gues what im still getting less than 200kbps, during off peak time its fine and im getting between 2.5-3.5?

Can someone from plusnet help me out here? there really is something seriously wrong!
19 REPLIES
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

So your experience of changing BB+ to Prem has had little effect upon your peak-time browsing?

Hmmm. This post has potentially saved me (and lost Plusnet) £7 a month.

Can anyone else confirm that Prem is, at the moment, a load of donkey nadgers at peak times?
N/A

So your experience of changing BB+ to Prem has had little effect upon your peak-time browsing?quote]

Well this is the first day since i switched over, and i cant see a change at all.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Have you tried rebooting your router/disconnecting/reconnecting your USB modem in case it needs that disconnection period in order to "pick up", so to speak, your new settings?
N/A

Have you tried rebooting your router/disconnecting/reconnecting your USB modem in case it needs that disconnection period in order to "pick up", so to speak, your new settings?

Yeh mate done all the usual tricks, if i have to reboot my router one more time im gunna slit my wrists! i must hold the world record for router reboots in the past week.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Heh. I'll be interested to find out what Supports take on your problem is. If it does turn out that Prem is as sucky as BB+ at the moment, there's not much point in me upgrading account, and I'm sure there'll be others in the same BB+ boat thinking "sod this for a game of soldiers.."
N/A

I have another account with plusnet at a different address which has been on premier about 5 years, I have never had a problem with speed issuses on this connection.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Ahh. So that other account is working happily still? The plot thickens.. Could be the prob you are having now might be a case of the ol' exchange overloaded blues?

I'm confused now, hard to tell what to do for the best. I don't mind paying the extra £7 a month so long as I can guarantee (and justify to SWMBO) a decent enough browsing experience, like BB+ used to be. If I go to the missus and say "I've just upgraded our ADSL account to the tune of £7 extra a month", and we can't tell the difference inbetween the two when it comes to nosing around eBay and the like, I'll get it right in the neck..

Extra peak capacity means nowt to us really, as it's a rare month I go near 2Gb a month, let alone 4, the main thing is knowing that we won't be waiting a dogs age for pages to load up of an evening.
N/A

I have to say the old account is running perfectly and always has for 5 years, but the property it is at is literally a stones throw from the exchange about 1km and the exchange only has about 5000 residential lines on it so its a very fast connection, it syncs at around 7.5 meg everytime no matter what time of day it is. I use about 10 gb a month at peak time on that connection and it never slows down.

The other account ive just switched over to prem is quite a distance from the exchange about 5.5km and it has 18000 resdential line on it. but the capacity is always showing as green on the exchange checker. This connection is always around 2.7-3.5 meg off peak, it just drops down to -200kbps at peak everyday since last wednesday.

So i dont know what to think myself. im very confused.

A bit of advice from plusnet staff would be nice!
N/A

I'm on Premier 1 and request my Mac code almost a month ago, and am due to migrate out on 20th Feb. I don't think it matters what package your on: PN sucks if you want to do anything other than surf and check email...

...and they don't even seem to be able to manage that judging from the BB+ fiasco.

My advice to those consider 'upgrading' to Premier: don't do it. just get your mac code and leave... or else wait for the fees to be deferred and then migrate.

until PN seriously sort their stuff out, it'd be absurd for anyone to suggest staying around.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

It's tough to give a definative answer, but I don't think the problem is because you're on Premier. Premier should give much better performance than that, assuming of course that there isn't a line or exchange fault or something else that's factored in that may be causing a problem.

Looking at your account I can't see any obvious problems, my first suggestion is to re-enter your username details in your router and disconnect/reconnect, a rogue space or dot in the username may be enough to cause a problem (but you may not notice a space at the end of the username for example).

From there, if you can, try the BT Speedtests, ideally the old one;

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm

but if not try the new one

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

and see if it can run the second and third tests.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

I have to say the old account is running perfectly and always has for 5 years, but the property it is at is literally a stones throw from the exchange about 1km and the exchange only has about 5000 residential lines on it so its a very fast connection, it syncs at around 7.5 meg everytime no matter what time of day it is. I use about 10 gb a month at peak time on that connection and it never slows down.

The other account ive just switched over to prem is quite a distance from the exchange about 5.5km and it has 18000 resdential line on it. but the capacity is always showing as green on the exchange checker. This connection is always around 2.7-3.5 meg off peak, it just drops down to -200kbps at peak everyday since last wednesday.

So i dont know what to think myself. im very confused.

A bit of advice from plusnet staff would be nice!

At least where the exchange is concerned, this is where I'm onto a winner. Middle of nowhere, Wales, I am, and I can see the exchange from the front bedroom window, so I know that line length is not a problem!

From my router..

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 8128 448
Noise Margin 13.1 dB 24.0 dB
Line Attenuation 1.5 dB 0.5 dB
Output Power 12.4 dBm 7.8 dBm

Also, according to SamKnows, my exchange is hardly a busy one. According to that site it serves less than 500 premises.

To finish off, according to a BT bloke I've spoken to outside there a while ago, there are only a couple of ADSL enabled lines in there, and even those ones are, apart from mine and a couple more in my village, due to the distance between this exchange and the neighbouring villages, all relatively slow connections. So, bearing all that in mind, I doubt contention would really rear it's head to the point that you may well have.

Anyway, the fact that your other account on what may well be a less congested exchange appears to be working happily with Premier gives me a bit of hope. Methinks I'll give Prem a try. After all, at worst, it'll cost me couple of quid more on top of what I'm paying at the moment to try it and find out.

Nod to James/Dave at support. Could either of you confirm the reply made to me by James a few nights ago, that if I do try Premier 1 you would have no issues with waiving the regrade fee back to BB+ fee if this does not work out?
N/A

Hi,

It's tough to give a definative answer, but I don't think the problem is because you're on Premier. Premier should give much better performance than that, assuming of course that there isn't a line or exchange fault or something else that's factored in that may be causing a problem.

Looking at your account I can't see any obvious problems, my first suggestion is to re-enter your username details in your router and disconnect/reconnect, a rogue space or dot in the username may be enough to cause a problem (but you may not notice a space at the end of the username for example).

From there, if you can, try the BT Speedtests, ideally the old one;

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm

but if not try the new one

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

and see if it can run the second and third tests.

Just reset my router to default setings and set it all up from scratch, everything on the router is set up correct and im still getting 226kbps on the plusnet speed test, evertime i try the new bt speed tester at peak times it does the first test but timed out evertime on the second test. I will try the old bt speed tester now but im sure i tried it the other day and it didint work.
N/A

Ive just tried the old bt speed tester and it failed, the page timed out.

I have also asked bt for a line check so i await the results of that.

So what do you suggest now?
N/A

see if it can run the second and third tests.

I have said several times on this forum that the second test doesn't work... at least it didn't for me.

Furthermore, it requires a blank password -- and some routers (certainly at least Linksys) do not permit blank passwords...