cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch forums from phpbb to vbulletin

channel
Grafter

We all know that the current bulletin boards have severe limitations, being a heavily modified version of phpbb. Maybe we could persuade Plus Net to cough up the $100 required for a vbulletin package? That way the mods could do things like merge and split threads. Vbulletin is also more stable and can still be as heavily customised as PN like.
4 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

I think it could be a huge project moving everything over to a new format from where we are now.

Whilst I agree entirely with you, I don't think Plusnet will see it quite like this. Since phpbb serves it's purpose well, does everything they need and is very heavily integrated with the portal.

On another note however, why vBulletin? I much prefer Invision Power Board.
N/A

This forum is exceptionally slow to load (in comparison with other forums of a similar size).

phpBB doesn't cope fantastically well for larger forums like vB.

Of course there are 'converters' for phpBB to vB but I'm not sure how well they work.
N/A

Besides the login being integrated into the portal, what else is? I agree with changing it but in the case of a change I'd go with the previous mentioned Invision over vB; I just think vB is clumsy and the admin cp is totally unintuitive....nevermind the vB logo, my god what were they thinking :shock:
Community Veteran

The problems of the forums are not actually related to phpbb, the slow down seems to be something to do with the way the portal servers work and would probably occur with another forum system (similar problems where not unknown with the previous 2 incarnations.

Also modifications are avilable to do the things we would love to be able to do with the forums, however PlusNet's busy developement schedule wont allow for the installation of forum modifications and I think it would literally take years before they would consider installing any new software. Take the mail system for instance, that was in planning and testing for over 2 years.

It's a shame they are so busy cos we'd love to have some changes done.