cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sustainable usage, differs to service purchased?

loveridge
Grafter

Am I the only one here who cannot find any mention in the T&C or any other babble from PN that I am not paying for a 2MB ADSL connection any more? It seems that the service that we are all paying for is now an alloted data transfer per month, regarldess of the speed it downloads at.

Or am I just being obtuse? Wink
91 REPLIES
N/A

Not being obtuse. You are paying for an up to 2mb connection. You can complete http downloads normally and at full speed, you will have p2p restricted.

The up to 2mb connection is still there.
loveridge
Grafter

Interesting point. But I was not referring to specific internet useage. Whether it is http, P2P, Voip, Internet radio etc etc it all adds up to your usage allowance. It has changed from paying for your connection speed, to paying for how much you want to use it, and if you exceed this amount, you will be crippled and restriced to simple surfing at a snails pace.
N/A

It has changed from paying for your connection speed, to paying for how much you want to use it,

Not entirely. The only thing that has changed dramatically is the use of p2p.

For those that only surf, use email, download software updates, chat or use voip, nothing has changed, in fact, I have no doubt that customers, using their connection in the manner mentioned above, who do not visit the forums will br blissfully unaware that anything has changed.
loveridge
Grafter

I use P2P, and also use my ADSL to transfer data constantly for my work and monitor remotely my companies servers etc. As a result I have raised a ticket since the SUP to transfer my account to a PN homeworker account(raised 6pm fri and still no response!!!!!), which I understant to work like Premier 2Mb but without the 100gb/30gb limits. Do you know if there is P2P 'shaping' in this service too?
rammie1976
Grafter

I can't remember now with all the mis-communications I've read, whether it is in +net's T&Cs that they notify the customer of a change to those T&Cs?
Otherwise I too imagine the majority of customers will have noticed little difference to their service.

I only wonder about notification of a change in T&Cs 'cos I'd like to be aware (within 14 days Cheesy ) of the next lot, will they send an email?
N/A

P2P shaping applies accross the board. Remote access, https, and VPN traffic shoud be unnaffected, especilly on a business account.

The SUP is not deemed to be a change to the T&C's, merely a clarification of part of the T&C's, as such PN are not obliged to notify customers.
N/A

Remember this is not something new this kind of management is something that we have been doing for some time. What this actually is comes from listening to yourselves and others who asked us for figures and times. We were often accused of having a policy that people did not have raw figures for and this is what we have done here, clarified the figures for everyone.

Secondly the reason behind this is to ensure that those customers who are paying for a 2Mb or any kind of connection find that this is what they get and are not affected by a tiny fraction of customers.
loveridge
Grafter

Thats very good plusnet, but does not explain why I have not had any email telling me i am a heavy user at all, until I get one Friday 16th telling me I have been heavy for 2 out of three months and are now cut back to dial up speed without a chance to alter my usage. Was it too difficult to email on these 2 months to say its above a limit?
So can you confirm, stewnorris, that transferring to homeworker is the right thing for me to do? If I use 150 - 200Mb per month, I will be allowed to?
N/A

Remember this is not something new this kind of management is something that we have been doing for some time.

How can Plus Net all of a sudden enforce a new set of terms & conditions & speed restrictions during peak time based on prior usage. Enforcing new terms based on prior usage without giving users the chance to stay within the new limits imposed is appalling to say the least.

I am a relatively new customer who at the time of signing up (earlier this year) noted that you did not have a usage policy in place or one being enforced. (TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!)

Surely all customers deserve common courtesy. Plus Net should have given us ample warning that a new set of terms & conditions were being introduced & ample time to adhere to these new terms.

This is what the majority of us are cheesed off about!
N/A

How can Plus Net all of a sudden enforce a new set of terms & conditions & speed restrictions during peak time based on prior usage. Enforcing new terms based on prior usage without giving users the chance to stay within the new limits imposed is appalling to say the least.

Terms and conditions were changed yes, and all customers had 14 days to leave if they found that they did not like them, so that was no unfair.

Secondly two things, the first being that any customer can opt out so it is not lik ethey are bound. Secondly common sense reason, in the past we have found that if we announce things like this some users (mainly those affected) will ask for the MAC key and hammer us for a month. Thus making things even worse for the massive majority (over 99.5%) of customers, and is that fair to them, simply put NO.
N/A

if we announce things like this some users (mainly those affected) will ask for the MAC key and hammer us for a month. Thus making things even worse for the massive majority (over 99.5%) of customers,

That is somthing I have never considered and makes certain actions even more understandable.
painswck
Grafter

Loveridge,
I woud think you require a clean connection for what you need to do. Unless you are tied by one of PlusNet's 'free' offers then your best bet to achieve this may be to look at another supplier. Others do seem able to give you a clean connection and prior notice of any changes, all for a price very similar to PN's.
loveridge
Grafter

if we announce things like this some users (mainly those affected) will ask for the MAC key and hammer us for a month. Thus making things even worse for the massive majority (over 99.5%) of customers,

That is somthing I have never considered and makes certain actions even more understandable.

That makes no sense, if you can throttle heavy users, then you can throttle people who are leaving to a moderate 512k level.
N/A

I intend to "make the most" of my connection until I get my MAC code