cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sustainable Customer Policy

N/A

I'm wondering how plusnet hope to keep my custom after my contract is up. I enjoy the service, I didn't have any serious issues until the sustainable usage policy reared its' ugly head.

To begin with, I rarely use P2P. I game and watch youtube during peak hours. That's all I do. Peak hours is a contentious issue also - midnight is peak time? I basically cannot continue to do the things I want to do with plusnet as they are "live", unlike P2P which can be done at any time. Blah.

One issue I have: One page on the plus.net site states that I can use up to 30Gb during peak-time in one month, but another says my service will start to be restricted after 13Gb. I really don't know what to believe.

I've had to give in to the "upgrade" which seems to be the only clickable option that is available on every page on this website. Roll on October when my 12 months is up... then begins the joy of changing ISP.
13 REPLIES
N/A

Peak time is technically when the network is the most busy. There are a lot of providers that class peak (as plus used to) as 8am-midnight because overnight its fairly quiet as everyone has gone to bed. I assume plusnet are counting 4-12 due to people being at work/school and its a little quieter.

(Before the SUP was introduced, there was still a 30Gb peak time "allowance" that was to be avoided anyway....)

SUP (Premier Option 1)

As described: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml
In your billing month, you are allocated a grand total of 30Gb under the SUP to be used during peak time. If you use more than this you are restricted to 128k at ALL times until the next billing cycle. Do this twice and you are obviously on an account that is not applicale for your usage and can either upgrade to receive a higher SUP Gb total or... leave.. basically.

However, as described here :- http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

At 13Gb, speeds will lower slightly, at 17Gb slighty more and at 20 certain items will be blocked (p2p/ftp/usenet). (slower speeds apply to peak time only)

Technically, as you dont use p2p, you will always receive at LEAST a 0.5Mb service assuming you dont go over 30Gb.
Community Veteran

Re: Sustainable Customer Policy

To begin with, I rarely use P2P. I game and watch youtube during peak hours. That's all I do. Peak hours is a contentious issue also -

Should you be on a PAYG package then?

SW
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
blowdart
Grafter

Peak time is technically when the network is the most busy. There are a lot of providers that class peak (as plus used to) as 8am-midnight because overnight its fairly quiet as everyone has gone to bed. I assume plusnet are counting 4-12 due to people being at work/school and its a little quieter.

Which is weird. I'm on a business connection and my bandwidth/throughput is lowest between 9 and 5

7:00am : 4846 kb/s
9:00am : 3999 kb/s
1:00pm : 1461 kb/s
4:00pm : 1554 kb/s

1 and 4 have pings > 100 to speedtest.net. If that's off peak, dear lord.
N/A

Premier accounts have no limit for Off-Peak usage though.

And I don't know of any other ISP that will give you no download limits between Midnight - 4pm.

From what Ive seen its usually between midnight - 6am
N/A

Err, I thought the "unlimited" off-peak allowance was, in reality, limited to 100 gig when they start to get a sense of humour failure?
N/A

Well, Premier doesnt have set offpeak download limits but I believe if you constantly abuse those 'unset limits' then you will be in trouble.

But thats the same for any ISP - whatever they may say.
kosh2
Grafter

As already said there are no ISPs which do not have alimit set somewhere. Even the "no limit" ISPs bury something deep within their T&C.

I do strugle though with PN definition of peak time and in fact the definition of peak time across the industry. I have been actively looking for a new ISP and read lots of T&C and FUP over the last few weeks. Rarely do I find any concordance in peak time.

ANyway I am off to Newnet where there is a overal cap but no peak time, though I have littledoubt that will change soon.
N/A

As for PN's Peak time usage policy in a way I agree with it, if every one was downloading p2p usenet all the time the network would grind to a halt.

With the peaktime limitations it ensures that when you get home from work, the kids get home you can happily browse the web download vids etc fast.

I am of the belief that you can wait overnight to get your favorite download via p2p etc. Most p2p programs will allow you to schedule between the hours of 00:00 and 16:00hrs.

Most isp's bring the limits in at 00:00 to 08:00
N/A

As for PN's Peak time usage policy in a way I agree with it, if every one was downloading p2p usenet all the time the network would grind to a halt.

With the peaktime limitations it ensures that when you get home from work, the kids get home you can happily browse the web download vids etc fast.

I am of the belief that you can wait overnight to get your favorite download via p2p etc. Most p2p programs will allow you to schedule between the hours of 00:00 and 16:00hrs.

Most isp's bring the limits in at 00:00 to 08:00

Indeed, I agree also, having had 300mbps during peak time several months ago. As I stated though, I don't use P2P. My usage is what I would consider to be normal. Gaming and web browsing accounts for 11 gig of my peak-time usage over the last 23 days.
N/A

That's all well and good until a sufficient number of users have been 'trained' to make their big downloads during off-peak time and so put a strain on that time period. Then I expect the peak-time period will be expanded.
kosh2
Grafter

And, as I have frequently said in this forum, there is no consideration for future isues such as internet TV, on demand movies, sport etc which will want to be watched live.

A business which does not plan for the future is a failing business.
shellsong
Grafter

Actually that is possibly one of the reasons PN have been so keen to get customers LLU'd since, in theory at least, bandwidth is much cheaper than BT's offering thus leading to the possibility of providing more bandwidth for the money eventually-- it's just that they have been stupid about the way they just shifted customers with no incentives and no choice :roll:

If they had offered LLU with extra usage whilst explaining the difficulty of transfers off they would probably have got volunteers for the service without leaving themselves open to possible lawsuits!
N/A

The strange thing is that they seemed to completely ignore all the people on the "Please upgrade me" list, and just upgrade people at random. That's what confuses me. Unless of course they lost the "please upgrade me" list in a certain unfortunate emailing accident Wink