cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surely Plus Can Offer Something Better??

Innovations
Grafter

I've been suffering pathetic speeds (around 135kbps) for several weeks. It's a shame as the line has supported 2000kbps in the past. Plus just seem to sympathise. But I'm paying them £22 per month for a quite unacceptable service. I keep asking what they can offer. If I pay £x can I get BT to give me a new line or better priority at the exchange? It seems to me that Plus really just take your money but have no power to do anything positive whatsoever. They're a friendly bunch but I don't want friends. I want broadband. Has anyone got Plus to solve this kind of problem? Has anyone gone to BT and paid for a better service?
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looking at the BT speed history for your line it keeps resync'ing at a rate around 160kbps.

The way that Max works is that if your sync speed decreases BT will reduce the throughput rate immediately. You can see what the throughput rate is by running the BT Speedtest:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

(shows as the IP profile).

If the sync rate then increases then it will take 3-5 days for the throughput to increase again. From the speed history I can see it keeps resync'ing lower again vefore that 3-5 day period ends so the clock keeps resetting.

The most common cause of this is wiring and filters, I'd recommend taking a look through this and see if anything helps:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

If you can find something that's causing the sync decreases and fix it then so long as the sync speed increases you'll see an increase in throughput in 3-5 days.
Innovations
Grafter

When I did your test, it showed the local exchange was Red. Do you think that could be a factor? Can I pay BT to come an do something to the line? Do I go through you or do I have to go to BT direct. I've done what I can. My mate has switched to one of the mobile companies and gets his broadband free. If Plus can't help customers in these situations it's difficult to see why people will not take a cheaper option. I'm certainly thinking about it. If all I can have is 135 kbps there's no point in paying broadband prices.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

If you could follow the tutorial in Dave's post we may be able to help further.

Basically something is causing your line to sync at a very low speed fairly regularly. This is most likely down to internal wiring/filtering issues.

The exchange being red would give you slower speeds, but not that slow and it wouldn't affect your actual sync speed.

We could request an engineer (after going through the faults process) but if the problem is not on the BT network you would face a hefty charge.
Innovations
Grafter

Just checked it tonight and I'm getting 2000Kbps, and that's with all the heavy rain which normally brings problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I think I looked at the tutorial and it assumed you had some complex wiring. I gave up on that years ago. I have two separate main plugs (there used to be two lines but they've been merged into one due to previous faults).Both have filters. One goes to the modem; the other goes to a Dect device. That's it. I do have other extensions for Sky but only connect them briefly when necessary. Generally they will stop the ADSL sync. It's annoying because I have to pay Sky more because I can't keep my boxes connected.
pebbles
Grafter

your sky should not stop your adsl sync, don't forget the filter is the first thing that plugs into your bt socket, everything else plugs into the filter including your sky, nothing should plug directly into you bt socket except the filter, sorry if this sounds a bit idiot proof, but I've seen so many installs where people think the filter is for the modem only.

If you have every thing going through filters then change your filters as one of them sounds faulty to me.

Hope that helps you out
Community Veteran

If you connect your Sky box to an extension without a filter then it will stop your modem / router from synching.

If you ensure that the extension which your Sky box connects to is filtered, you can leave them connected all the time.

Rule of thumb. If you have a device connected to a socket then that and every device must be filtered.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

There have been reports of the Sky box messing up ADSL even when using a filter - it appears that you need a very good quality filter on the Sky box.
gswindale
Grafter

It's annoying because I have to pay Sky
more because I can't keep my boxes connected.

Why? I've not had my box connected for over 3 years now and don't pay them any more than I would if I had it connected. I originally disconnected it due to interference with the phones more than anything else.
craiglay
Grafter

Sky boxes are a pain and generally cause a complete loss of sync even with filters in the right places for my parents.

We also have it unplugged but we have multiroom now, so just waiting for sky to pounce on us Sad Hmmm, Sky vs Internet... Thats a hard one...

Craig
James
Grafter

On an interesting note, I do wonder if Sky Broadband tell their customers to unplug all telephony devices, which essentially violates the television service contract.
hitachi
Grafter

Keep an eye on your bank account craiglay,they tend to just start charging 2 subscriptions if they check and the phone is not connected on multiroom.