cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Ticket page and no Https

LastRoMan
Grafter

I am currently going through a Ticketing exchange with PN Support. It is about my OE no longer receiving or sending though settings have not changed in years - so why do they keep suggesting I change them - derrh! Ticket: 17982851

But that is not why I am posting - last contact I was asked to verify what I am using for User Name and Password. I gave my User Name - but witheld the latter on the grounds that the page does not have a security 'https' URL. I never noticed this before - is it safe to put passwords on a non-secure page even on the ISP's server? I was always taught not to put sensitive information on an unsecure site.

Conrad :?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Smiley In my opinion you did the right thing, they should know better than to ask for such detail on a non-secure page. There's far too many sad people getting cheap thrills out of stealing other peoples information these days to take such a risk
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

There are a few issue you may be obvlivious too here, that make what your saying a moot point.

https does little other than gurentee that the data you send is secure from prying eyes in the short term (ie, until they can decrypt it). It does not make it secure from key-logging or spyware installed on your system.

This is all pretty much irrelivant though, when you look at how email collection works.

POP3 does not encrypt your password when you authenticate with your mailbox. So each time your mailbox is checked, you are sending insecure data.

With regards to your problem (I havn't looked at the ticket). Have you attempted to recreate the mailbox settings in your client. Outlook Express is known for occasionaly corrupting the account details if mail collection fails for some reason.

Kind Regards,
LastRoMan
Grafter

Hi Phil,
Firstly thanks for the explanation, no - revelation about security - I was blissfully unaware.

I just tried settting up a new email account using the default information I use on my other accounts. I then checked Send and Recieve - but got the same result on all accounts including the new one (I currently use 5 aliases).

I recall having this same problem I think over a year ago - I tried everything suggested by Support at that time with no remdy - and it sort of corrected itself after some days. You go to the GP the tablets don't work and some how the condition clears up by itself! I'm open to suggestions however.

Regards, Conrad
shellsong
Grafter

SUGGESTION-- Firefox and Thunderbird? Tongue
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

As mentioned above, I'd suggest trying another email client as it is possible that something has happened to your OE install.

With regards to the request for your password, that's not normally something that would be asked for via the ticket system, as we understand that its not something that most people are comfortable doing, so simply replying with something like 'I use the same password as the one used to log into the portal' would be enough information.
LastRoMan
Grafter

Thak you all - I downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird - now 'all systems go.'

I even imported my massive Inbox sub-folders with probably hundreds of saved emails in. And everything worked fine - I do think Support's suggestion that I delete the Inbox file was a bit like saying do a re-install of Windows! Always a possibility but also a last resort. So I only gave them a 3* for helpfulness.

This looks like a giant leap beyond OE - I may never go back. I currently use SlimBrowser instead of IE again a huge step forward.
chymorva
Grafter

Hi,
From some time ago (earlier this year I think) new Hotmail accounts no longer work with OE - although existing accounts continue to work. This is to do with the new Hotmail Plus. So this may be the cause of your problems.
LastRoMan
Grafter

Thnx Phil, but I do not access my Hotmail account in OE - I go to the site. But no worries I am happy now. Cheesy