cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Team: Recursion - See Recursion

N/A

Just thought I'd give everyone a laugh...

Last Saturday, someone sent me a legit, but encrypted ZIP file attached to an e-mail.

The virus protection quarantined it for me. I requested the Support Team to release it.

By Monday, the Support Team (quick off the mark - eh?) had released the e-mail.

But guess what?

The virus protection quarantined it for me. I requested the Support Team to release it.

(...)

It is now Tuesday afternoon, and I'll start a sweepstake to guess how many times the Support Team will release my e-mail and hence when I will receive it.

Odds on offer (in Tesco School Vouchers)

50:1 June 2006
25:1 July-August
5:1 January 2007
1:1 December 2016
6 REPLIES
N/A

are you using mail forwarding or something by any chance? if so then you'll need to disable it as forwarding will be stripping the headers out therefore the AV server won't know that it's been passed and will simply quarentine it again ad infinitum.
N/A

It's only been a week so far ....

But still no sign of my e-mail.

The support team are so good at faffing around that I have decided to increase the odds to 100: for June 2006 .
pawhe955
Grafter

I'm in the same boat - PN CSC released the blocked email at my request (within 12 hours), but then I just received another notification of it being blocked again....

@sarahnmason - Richard, could you expand on your comments re: forwarding? Do you mean forwarding from a PluNet Email Mailbox to another mail account somewhere else? In my case, the incoming email was forwarded from my main Domain Hosting Co., so it is actually a forwarded email - but PlusNet's mail server's shouldn't give two hoots about that?? (It will end up in my default PlusNet mailbox)... Thx.
N/A

Hmm, slightly off topic on this one.

But I wonder if there is a get around for this. Ok so a zip file was created and encrypted then attached and sent. I wonder whether or not it would get flagged and quarantined if the encrypted zip file was placed inside of a normal zip file or normal rar file ( as I tend to use rar ).

Does anyone know or has anyone tried...?
N/A

AV programs, should pass encrypted and password protected files as they should be classed as safe.

As why would someone go to the bother of encrypting and protecting the file, to infect you.

As someone who knows about encryption and protection aint daft. So understand security.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

As why would someone go to the bother of encrypting and protecting the file, to infect you.

There where some viruses going around a bit ago which had encrypted zips attached. It had the password to un-encryt the zip file in the body of the email. I think that is why this measure was put in place. I don't know how many virus's use this method now.

As someone who knows about encryption and protection aint daft. So understand security.

There are some people around who would follow a couple of instructions as posted in the email body to open the zip file. Many of these viruses wouldn't spread if the reciprient wasn't daft enough to open the attachment

Phil