Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Site Improvements

James
Grafter

Morning all,

As part of making our improvements towards the whole customer facing improvements, we've been making some improvements to our website. We have made a number of video tutorials to help our customers get used to using our websites and services we are offering. There is also a new feature added whereby you can rate whether or not you feel that the page is helpful to you.

Please feel free to have a look here and pass back your thoughts in this thread:

http://www.plus.net/support/videohelp.shtml?ref=support_menu&link=videohelplink
11 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Here are my first impressions:

1) A good simple intro for people new to PlusNet and / or to Broadband. Good pictorial help around the simpler bits of the Portal and fault finding.

2) The pages are quite slow to load - but then, so is most of the Portal!

3) There is a great deal (too much IMHO) of repeated detail. E.G. all of the videos take you through the 'logging in to the Portal members' page. I got a bit bored after checking a few of the entries. The slide bar at the bottom is some help, but with no calibration or markers it is a lot cumbersome?

4) The first page in the Help video - the one that contains
"Welcome to the xxxxxx tutorial

Click the Next button to start the tutorial

Always gets the same screen back with Green box in a different position on the first click of 'Next' Thereafter it continues with the tutorial.

5) There does not seem to be an obvious route for more experienced users who may have been down this path many (Too many?) times to get a quick entry into 'Raise a ticket' (Question?) Indeed from your reply in another thread this seems to be a deliberate intention?

As I said in point 1) A good start, but needs some more thought before it is likely to have any impact on the more complex questions that seem to be prevalent at this time.

BTW I'd be happy to act as a Beta tester for any new video entries if you need any?

Maurice
[/img]
N/A

) There is a great deal (too much IMHO) of repeated detail. E.G. all of the videos take you through the 'logging in to the Portal members' page

Completely agree especially that, as far as I know, you have to be logged into the members page to be able to use the vidoe help. Unless PN are going to send the video links when responding to tickets :!:
N/A

James,

The tutorials is a great idea as has been mentioned before.
However I feel that these tutorials lack the obvious, information. Its like being back at the flicks in the old days watching laurel and hardy. The tutorials would have come across a whole lot better if they had embedded audio with them as you can then tell the viewer what is happening and what needs to be done in real time as apposed to cramming it into a couple of lines in a callout with a next button ( which from just 1 tutorial made me close it never to want to open another again ).

All in all,

Effort - 100%
The idea of it - 100%
The amount of actual info brought across in them - 20%
The ease of watching and following - 20%
Willingness to view more tutorials based on the 1 I watched - 0%

Total - 48%

But thats my sole opinion.
N/A

Im making a demo now and will post after im back from town :p
N/A

Ok,

Please excuse the very err tinny sound and also the weird sound of my voice. My son was taking a bath and I was rushing at the time.

I have basically simply messed about a bit and thrown it together, but I think the point will come across all the same. Having a person speaking packs so much more of a punch and adds an invaluable amount of information into a small time frame.

View the Demo Voiced Video

Regards,
N/A

Having a person speaking packs so much more of a punch and adds an invaluable amount of information into a small time frame.
View the Demo Voiced Video

Tom, point well made: the tutorials are much clearer with voice as well as visual. Should the voice over be male or female though? Smiley
Community Veteran

Female. Aparently most voiceover stuff uses female voices because people are more likely to listen, although my wife would have you believe I never hear what she's going on about Smiley
Walrus
Grafter

Female. Aparently most voiceover stuff uses female voices because people are more likely to listen

My belief it was the opposite. In studies, people have sat and watched a news bulletin, with male and female presenters. Recall of the articles presented by the female have been particulary poor, whereas recall of the males articles have been very good.

Anyhow... I suspect there are bandwidth constraints excluding the addition of audio to tutorials, albeit the increased bandwidth could be fairly insignificant.
N/A

The one snag would be the added size and hence bandwidth. But to be fair My personally would rather add 2mb in size to a video help file and make it clear as apposed to save on that 2mb and hope the user understands whilst not getting fedup.

In the end of the day though its something that needs to be considered and thought thru. I am merely a person with an opinion making sure its being expressed Wink

Regards,
N/A

The one snag would be the added size and hence bandwidth.

The size of the instruction video could very well be a problem, especially for the lower bandwidth products.

Isn't there a way the whole video could be condensed to a much smaller size?
N/A

That file was published as a flash file. AVI, WMV Quicktime are possible also but im not certain on the compression of those.

What I have suggested to james via PM was that perhaps a usage bypass for the plus.net domain. Basically allowing plusnet to use these video tutorials with voice etc and better quality but not at the expense of the customer. So all traffic from the plusnet site only would be free. or up to a gig from the plusnet site free or something like that.

I think this would suit everyone all round especially those on a lower bandwidth package wanting to view tutorials.