cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion

N/A

Suggestion

can the f9, plusnet, metronet and any other companies that plus net own merge their forms into one, i sure it would be helpful when we have common problems, find it a nightmare going to f9, where we have only got read access.
7 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Suggestion

This is something that does get suggested from time to time, and its something that we've looked at. However, its not that easy to implement, due to the way that the forums are integrated with the rest of the portal. We'd have to make significant changes in order to allow jsmith from PlusNet to log in and only see his details, and at the same time allow jsmith from Metronet to log in and post to the forums.
N/A

Suggestion

I suppose there would be a few problems, you would have to add a prefix to add the usernames depending if they are pn or f9, and then the primary keys for each user would need to be changed, so this wouldn't relate to any posts that they have made in the past.
So i think a new forum should be created, on one of the servers and combine the sql table for usernames, re-edit the primary keys, then when successful, in users ect.
I'm sure you could get someone on this, when your webmasters are free
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Suggestion

phpBB (which these forums use) doesn't have the username as primary key, it uses as user_id which is a number. The problems with doing this would be the coding of the integration part of the system.

Phil
Community Veteran

Suggestion

The trouble is that PN have hacked phpBB to peices.

IMO; they would be better off seperating phpBB from the main portal.

It would require a lot of work; but once this has been done; it would make it far more standard and mean that the forums could be merged with less difficulty.

This is not to say it should be seperated completely from the portal.

There should still be a certain amount of integration just phpBB should not be run as part of the portal; and should be run seperately.

I don't know if PN would be willing to do what I'm about to suggest as It's a pretty off the wall idea but; perhaps they could ask for volunteers to look into this; and give any volunteers access to a test platform where the seperation and merging of the forums could be looked into without taking up the time of the developers?
Alecto
Grafter

Suggestion

From what I've seen, there is far less action on the other forums than on this one.
So isn't the easy thing just to give access to the Pn forums to anyone on the others who wants it (let them choose another name just for that if they need to).

There won't be more than a few hundred applicants, I'd guess, and these phased over quite a period as the occasional users went to their forums and found they had to go to Pn instead. And you'd then have the cost saving of shutting the others down.

If it's something you want to do, there is a solution.
If it isn't, any problem will be enough to stop it.
Community Veteran

Suggestion

There was a vote on Force9 a couple of months back, and the consensus was not to join the Plus.Net forums.

As others have pointed out it would not be as simple as you would think to merge the forums. Possibly the only practical way would be to lose all the old posts, and start a fresh.

Chilly
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Suggestion

If you want forums which are common to users of all Plusnet brands theres the Usergroup and Plusnetters forums.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)