Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion for Gamer Option 512kbps and 1mbps

ed
Grafter

Dear F9,

I understand the need for the Fair Use Policy with 8mpbs ADSL max to stop people downloading like crazy but it is hurting the internet gaming community.

People want to play when they get back from school/work at 4pm and want to sleep at midnight so you can't realy shift usage outside the peak hours.

So how about a reduced bandwidth rate service where you don't have to worry about peak use?

My idea is for the following

Net Gamer Option 1 - 512kbps down / 256kbps up NO PEAK LIMITS - £20
including a single fixed IP address

Net Gamer Option 2 - 1Mbps down / 488kbps up NO PEAK LIMITS - £30
including a single fixed IP address

What does the community think?
4 REPLIES
ed
Grafter

Sorry, before anyone suggests it, I've realised this is probably in the wrong forum and moved it to Ideas & Suggestions Shockedops:
David_W
Rising Star

15gb peak is a lot for playing games, when you will average about 40mb a day tops. The faster connection will help you with patches etc... (1gb for the 64 bit patches to farcry for instance).

Games already get stuck onto the "Gold" service so is the fastest F9 can provide. If you want to download big patches, do em overnight, or off peak, but 15gb really is a lot (500mb a day, peak rate roughly) so unless your downloading over 1gb every 2 days, the current service should suit gamers (and with MAXDSL higher upload speeds so hosting should be better too)
ed
Grafter

If you host the Quake server you will have 8 people downloading to you and uploading back to 8 players. I can easily move 1Gb per day about 0.5Gb of that in the peak period Sad

I'm sure half of my traffic is DOS attack though!

I also have 4 internet nuts in my house all using the internet for vaious things :/
I've had to tell everyone not to download music or listen internet radio.

Internet rationing does my head id rather have 512k and not have to worry about it. When i signed up for premium it was touted as a Faimily service with no download limits.
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I don’t do gaming or host a server and I’m what F9 call a light user but I think you have a valid idea there.

The second option would be the best as that gives a good upload speed with matching download.

What if they capped it with a fixed amount but that amount could be used at any time of day. That way it would not be used by P2P users to get round the quotas or, restrict all traffic but gaming and web on the account.

Just my thoughts, but it is a good idea, it would let the gaming community live in peace with the rest of the users during peak times.

Regards, Colin.