cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden stable rate drop

davec25

Sudden stable rate drop

Anyone got any idea as to why my stable rate would drop from 5500 (speeds around 4500 to 5000Kbps) to 500 (speeds around 130Kbps)!!

I tried the fault checker thing but it said it couldn't complete the connection tests due to some unknown problem :roll:
Raised a ticket but just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar...
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Sudden stable rate drop

look at your router logs, did they show some major sync loss last night that meant your synced at <1000kb/s? If so you are stuck at this for 3 days.

This reply is moot if you have a USB modem.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Sudden stable rate drop

This reply is moot if you have a USB modem./quote]

No its not, a USB modem is actually more likely to sync at different speeds as it is more likely to be switched off more frequently and thus resyncing more oftent. This means there is a higher probability it will sync at a lower level at some pont causing teh stable rate to be decreased.

So the problem of getting a lower sync/stable rate applies to any type of ADSL equipment.
davec25

Sudden stable rate drop

Unfortunately my router logs are rubbish (DLink 604+) but I was working at home yesterday afternoon and did notice the slow speeds and kept rebooting the router to try to get better sync speeds. They were still around the 5000Kbps mark though on the occasions that I checked, but then I gave it up as a bad job. The router was switched off at about 5pm last night until 9.30ish this morning.

Oh well 3 days worth of sub-512K speeds...yay!
Nocturne
Grafter

Sudden stable rate drop

Powering your modem / router down overnight from my experience is likely to mean that, other things being equal, you will synch at a higher the speed the following morning.

If you power down your modem/router too often this can, as has been suggested be detrimental and your synch speed will drop regularly

If for whatever reason, you are losing synch regularly then this is liable to suggest to BT that your line is not good and you may have difficulty in maintaining a high synch speed and Stable Rate.
N/A

Sudden stable rate drop

I had the same problem from Wednesday up until 11am yesterday and then speeds suddenly went back to around 2mb.

This is utter shambles on the part of BT and PN, the obvious trials that were carried out should have been on a larger scale to beat out all the problems that every maxdsl user is now facing.

No wonder ISP share prices are falling.
davec25

Sudden stable rate drop

Thanks for the replies folks.

The annoying thing is that I had pretty good speeds (for a 52db downstream attenuation line) for the first 10 days or so, and didn't have the stuck at 2Mb problem that many have had...

David.
BigDaz
Grafter

Sudden stable rate drop

I'm in the same boat, my stable rate's dropped from 5500 to 500 overnight so I'm on 128k speed now. Sad
Community Veteran

Sudden stable rate drop

Just to add a me too! BT have really dropped the ball on this one and as usual, us punters get (nail with a thread)ed. :x
davec25

Sudden stable rate drop

Anyone else ?

Maybe something went a bit mad with yesterday's delta reports or something ?
N/A

Sudden stable rate drop

i've been on maxDSL since the 3rd May, I synced at 8128/448 with a snr of 10db. i've had a stable rate of 4000kbs then 8000kbs and then last saturday it dropped to 1500kbps. i've since synced at 7160 and they've turned interleaving on, which is just great for gaming...oh and my stable rate is still 1500kps. deep joy lol.