cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in speed.

N/A

Sudden drop in speed.

Up until a month ago I was a happy Plus Net customer. I was on 2Mbps line and my speed levels were constantly at 1.95Mbps. I was looking forward to the prospect of moving to an 8Mbps line at some point in the future and was confident that I would get speeds of 8Mbps since I lived closed to the exchange and BT Wholesale had informed me that my line would easily support 8 Mbps.

Sadly for the past month my connection speed has dropped from a stable 2Mbps to around 800-900kpbs. Furthermore Plus Net response has been pretty poor. They have failed to provide an adequate explanation as to why the speed has dropped and what they will do to address the problem.

Is anyone else out there who is in the same boat as me? Have you found that your speed has suddenly dropped to below 1 Mbps when previously you had a stable 2Mbps connection?

Sad Sad Sad
6 REPLIES
N/A

Sudden drop in speed.

Welcome to the 8 MB club!
I used to be 512kB and got pretty close to that all the time. Now I am 8MB and speeds vary up to 4MB at time but are mostly consistent with your experience, <1MB. At time I have been 0.4KB/s (yes kilo) and told that was within the acceptable range!.

Mostly is is better than 512KB, which is good. But it seems that the 8MB is at best hype. (I am close to an exchange too.). My guess is that the low speed is due to PN actively sharing out their limited bandwidth among competing products and customers.

Even at night my downloads recently are still around only 1MB, but I am not sure whether this is PN or the download site that is limiting the speed.
N/A

Sudden drop in speed.

If Plus Net can't deliver 8Mbps then they should keep their customers on a stable 2Mbps line. No pointing hyping something you are not able to deliver.

I've been a loyal Plus Net customer since May 2003 but at the moment I feel I'm just being messed around and fobbed of when I ask for support.
Slipperymack
Grafter

Sudden drop in speed.

I have had various problems since being Max'd in May 2006. My current speed is 132 - router syncing at 6000+ etc. I currently have a ticket open about this. But if not resolved I am going to -

1)Either ask to be put back onto the old 2MB rock solid connection, or

2) A MAC code - although I have been informed that changing ISP may not resolve problems with the connection, which probably is true. I think that the problems have been caused by BT creating a product which is running on old cables, lines equipment etc. The ensuing problems we have had have basically overwhelmed some ISP's CS sections.
N/A

Sudden drop in speed.

Agreed, changing ISP may not resolve problems with the connection. The problem may well have more to do with BT than Plus, however it would be nice if Plus Net where honest enough to admit why customers are experiencing slower speeds and then make a concerted effort to address the problem. Maybe a bit of honesty from Plus Net is too much to ask?
N/A

Sudden drop in speed.

Yes - I have been with PN a long time and used to recommend them to others, but not anymore. Clearly not everything that is wrong is their fault, but I lost trust in them so time ago. Recently there seem to have been improvements, which is a good sign - for us and them. Part of the problem might be having to out-hype the competition, most of which seem at least as bad.

From the past dictionary of PN and probably all the others:
Unlimited = limited.
Always on = turned off after x minutes.
upto 8MB = mostly around 1 to 2.
Slipperymack
Grafter

Sudden drop in speed.

I not sure its to do with honesty, more to do with actually communicating in the first place. We seem to get more info/advise by "shouting" in this forum than by creating a ticket. "please do three speed checks, when you have already provided them on numerous occasion, "please answer these 16 questions" , when these have been addressed in the draft of your ticket. And when you do get a response, (depending on who replies) it's a "copied and pasted" reply which my 3 year old could have done and which I have already read on the help and support pages.some time CS lets itself down by ignoring specific questions, it's like a call centre syndrome or if you know "little Britain"- "Computer says no".

Seem to be going off topic here!!!! But it is all tied in with paying for a product which, for many, appears to be inherently flawed.