Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in Sync speed

JonnyF
Grafter

Hi,

In the last week I have had an unexpeted sudden drop in my router sync speed.

Basically ever since I went MAXDSL (one of the first to be rolled out) my router has Synced at 8128/448 and my Plusnet profile has been 8000. (I am only 800m from the exchange)

Just a few days ago I noticed a drop in download speeds.

Upon checking my router I saw that the sync speed has dropped to 6400.

Can any one give me a clue as to why after many months I would experience this sudden drop?

Nothing at all has changed, I have tried connecting to the master socket and there is no difference.

I have a Linksys WAG354G router and it is reporting,

6368/448
Downstream Margin 10db
Upstream Margin 20db
Downstream Line Attenuation 26
Upstream Line Attenuation 31

The only thing I can think of is that my exchange (CHORLEY) was recently reporting VC capacity issues that were so called being rectified on the 23rd March.

This is around the period that I noticed the drop. Do you think that somthing has been changed in the exchange - like equipment or my physical connection?

Cheers,

Jon.
3 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Sudden drop in Sync speed

This is around the period that I noticed the drop. Do you think that somthing has been changed in the exchange - like equipment or my physical connection?

Hi,

That's certainly a possibility. The problem with this though would be getting BT to accept responsibility. I'm quite sure that an attempt to raise this to BT would result in the case being rejected.

BT will investigate drops in sync but only where the line rate drops below your fault threshold rate. This is basically 70% of the lowest sync speed witnessed during your 10 day stabilisation period. In your case it's 5152kbps.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JonnyF
Grafter

Anyone else shed any light on this?

P.S. Especially a BT DSL engineer who is familiar with the DSLAMS and patching arrangements in the exchange!!

Cheers,

Jon.
JonnyF
Grafter

OK,

So reading the forums I've noticed another thread with regards the Downstream Margin settings.

My line is currently 6688 with 12db D/M.

I have a feeling I may have been switched over to LLU.

Firstly, how can I confirm this is the case.

Secondly, how do I go about reducing the D/M threshold to regain my previous 8128 SYNC speed.

Cheers,

Jon.