Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck IP profiles, and bandwidth-hungry housemates

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Hi there!

Well, after my last advice to attempt some further reboots, my IP profile still appears to be stuck at 2000kbps.

Connection settings reports 7000kbps, BT speedtest reports 2000kbps. Router/Line stats as follow.

Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 7616 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: G.DMT
Channel: Interleave
Trellis: OFF
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 15.8 19.0
Attn(dB): 12.0 9.0
Pwr(dBm): 19.8 11.9
Max(Kbps): 10976 952
Rate (Kbps): 7616 448

Is it worth trying to disable interleaving first in order to "force" a resync and therefore kick my IP profile that way, and according to the above line stats, do you think that disabling interleaving will have any adverse effect upon my connection?

Secondly, I'm sharing my connection wirelessly with my housemates, both of whom have discovered the delights of being able to download Stargate episodes and so forth... I've already tried to explain about "keep it outside of peak times...", but I've noticed that my peak time usage has risen quite alarmingly, up to approacking 500Mb per day which is rather worrying.

Now, I've explained about setting scheduling in uTorrent, which is the preferred client, but I noticed Gnutella appearing on one of their PCs. I've just enabled Surfguard, which will hopefully put a stop to that, but still..

I've "throttled" them to an extent via my wireless router, I've forced the wireless link to only negotiate a 1mbps connection but still. Is there anything more I can/could do, apart from disabling wireless completely at peak times, in order to help keep my peak-time useage within limits, or keep it happy at least until the novelty (they're both used to dialup, never had more than 5Kb/s before) wears off? Smiley

Cheers!
7 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Regarding your IP profile we can raise a fault for you to get BT to reset this providing you have been syncing at that speed for more than 3 days. Just raise a fault ticket with some BT speedtest results on there.

With regards the peak time usage you could block certain ports at peak times. All seems a little complicated though, I'd probably just have rather strong words if it were me. Cheesy
N/A

Done that too, still awaiting.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Ta for that!

Before we try raising a fault to BT (pr maybe try both..), any chance we can try disabling interleaving first? As well as forcing a resync, this may well kick the IP profile into something healthier as a side effect.

Router stats (20:17)

Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 7616 Kbps
Down Up
SNR (dB): 14.1 20.0
Max(Kbps): 10720 988

14.1db Noise Margin is about the lowest I've seen it, with results in the 15db range being more usual overnight/daytime, and sync/attenuation has been solid since this line was activated. As before, if these figures show that disabling interleaving will have no adverse effect, go for it!

Cheers!
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

*Bump*

P'nawn da, as they say around here...

I raised a ticket regarding my sticky IP profile yesterday morning, and I'm still awaiting one of you support peeps to reply. Any chance you could leave the tea and garibaldi's alone for 5 mins or so and take a peek at it please? Tongue

Cheers folks!

*edit* Router stats, just for the hell of it.

Down Up
SNR (dB): 14.4 23.0
Max(Kbps): 10720 1068
chrisc
Grafter

i'll take a look at it for you and get a reply out as soon as possible Cheesy
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Cheers Chris! Read and replied to.

Award yourself a choccy digestive. Smiley
chrisc
Grafter

No problem..

I have passed the ticket to our faults team and they will raise this to BT. It's a relatively easy procedure to get the BRAS profile updated so hopefully the problem won't be around too much longer Cheesy