cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to set up Windows Mail

N/A

Attempted to set up last night and WMail advised this was successful but I emailed my friend using WMail and my known Hotmail address and only the Hotmail was received. I think my error was made when entering 'the account name and password provided by my isp'. Is my account name my username or username.dslplus.net? I presume my password will be the p/w I used to first register with plusnet? Since registering with plusnet I've set up a second mail box and it's this mail box I'd like my WMail to come to - in which case should I have used the p/w relating to this second mail box? confused..thanks for any help
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hiya,

Whenever you are entering your ISP details in email, it's always in this format, which is true for your default or catchall mailbox.

name@domain.plus.com
{NOTE:- Email uses a .COM suffix, not .NET which is often a cause for mail configuration errors!}

It's only when you're configuring a dialup or router session that you'll ever need the name and the domain

For example:

name@plusdsl.net

Anyway, you're configuring mail collection.

As you say you've added a new mailbox which is the one you want to use, so, when you put your login details into windows mail you'll need to put your details in like this

username: name+newmailboxname
{always remember to put the '+' in or it will not work!}

password: yourpassword

I trust this helps - if not, feel free to shout at me!

Roger.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

There's a guide for Windows Mail here:

http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/windows_mail.shtml

The username you need for the incoming mail is the format - username, or if you are using a seperate mailbox username+mailboxname

The password for the default username is the default password, a seperate mailbox can have a seperate password.
N/A

So I will need to amend the incorrect details I entered previously and my correct details will be username+fullnewemailaddress and my password will be the password I used to set up this new email address and not the password I used when setting up my first (default) email address with plus net?

Also, can the default email address be changed? thanks
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

If the new mailbox you created was called dave then the username would be the format username+dave and yes it's the specific password for that mailbox rather than the default one.

The default address can be changed by adding an alias (or several aliases) to it using the manage my mail icon under email settings.