Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strong Passwords!

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Strong Passwords!

Hi all,

Quick heads up that on Wednesday we will be rolling out changes to the platform that will allow customers the ability to choose much more secure passwords.

For those that don't know, customers are currently restricted to using a 5-8 character password containing numbers and lowercase letters that must start with a letter! The option to allow stronger passwords has been the most voted for suggestion on the Usergroup Issue Tracker for a while now and we recognise that it's something a lot of you have been asking for.

As of Wednesday customers will be forced into choosing a password that's between 8 and 16 characters when they signup. This password can also contain any of the folowing characters:

!#$%&()*+,-./:;<=>?@[]^{|}~

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

You will not be forced into changing your existing details so anyone with a password not meeting this criteria can continue using their current credentials.

Password changes on the portal will propagate around all the systems (FTP, Mail, Portal access etc.). The only system that will not support the new password format will be FrontPage. FrontPage will only take into account the first 8 characters.

If anyone has any questions or feedback then please feel free to contribute to this thread and I'll do my best to provide answers.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

21 REPLIES
N/A

Strong Passwords!

Great news!

Cheesy
Phil_Collins
Grafter

Strong Passwords!

Changing to a more secure password is good news but will do little to help people who have had their email address' compromised to spammers, might this not be a god time to offer the opporunity for users to change their username and have a fresh start with their "CATCH ALL" email address' due to the security lapse no doubt our email addies are on every spam list in the world .......
Community Veteran

Strong Passwords!

Usernames are a core piece of information distributed amongst many internal systems with no current way to update them all automatically with a new name.

This request has been made for many years but the work involved in doing it has meant it is not, so far, commercially feasible.

PN have said they will look into it again but changing names if far more difficult than allowing stronger passwords.
kreynolds
Grafter

Strong Passwords!

9.7 We shall have the right from time to time to change your User Name, internal address and/or Password allocated by us for the purpose of essential network maintenance, enhancement, modernisation or other work which we deem necessary to the operation of the Service or on any other reasonable grounds. Any such changes will be notified to you by email or by the Help Assistant tool.

9.8 If you forget your User Name or Password or you think someone knows your User Name or Password and they are not authorised to use it, or if any Password is being or is likely to be used in an unauthorised way, it is your responsibility to inform PlusNet immediately using the Help Assistant tool.

Must be a way of doing it as this is suggstged in the Terms & Conditions
kreynolds
Grafter

Strong Passwords!

Mmmm....Has the strong password change gone live yet as I'm getting this error when trying to change my password

The password you entered was not valid. Your password must begin with a letter and contain only lowercase letters and/or numbers. It must be between 5 and 8 characters in length.

Also the password change page is showing the following

Password rules
5 -8 characters
Lower case and numbers (must begin with a letter)
No spaces
Don't use your username

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=change_password&s=0
Community Veteran

Re: Strong Passwords!

on Wednesday

Hint, today is Tuesday.
Wink

Chilly
Mand
Grafter

Strong Passwords!

Hi there,

The changes are not due to be rolled out until tomorrow, so if you need to change your password now you will need to choose one which conforms to the old rules.
kreynolds
Grafter

on Wednesday

Hint, today is Tuesday.
Wink

Chilly

D'Oh!!

Not enough caffeine in blood yet :lol:
The_10th
Grafter

Strong Passwords!

Great news, thanks for the update Bob! Smiley
N/A

hash.

FINNALY someone pulled theire finger out of their bum and coded this one up.

i'm sure the system could support this before, its just plusnet maybe wanted simple pashwords to be hashed so they could maybe unhash them on the fly ?

not sure why they would need to do this thou ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Strong Passwords!

Well obviously this is good news that PlusNet have pulled their finger out at last, and implemented a feature which had been requested for years!

But it shouldn't have taken the security breach to highlight the importance of this, and it's funny how it didn't actually take long to implement something once PlusNet can be bothered to do it, isn't it?

And you can't tell me otherwise, as I know the Software Engineering game Wink

We do exactly the same here .. if we spent less time uming and arring about how much dev time something would cost, the level of testing required and the impact it would have on other systems then a lot more could get done.

I guess that would also apply if I spent less time on these forums as well - oh well :lol:
Community Veteran

D'Oh!!

You just want to be two days closer to the weekend Cheesy

Me too!

Chilly
thehatman
Grafter

Strong Passwords!

I would very much like PN to make it possible to change usernames.
N/A

Strong Passwords!

One question which perhaps needs to be asked but hasnt been covered yet, is with this new feature being available and with the amount of people, im assuming, that will rush to use it, how long will it take to propagate fully throughout the systems.