cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Street lights, central heating and a rotten connection!

Barry_Doe
Grafter

Do other people out there get decent connections in the day but frequent disconnections in the evening? I normally log on in the morning and keep a connection until about 1800 and then start to get disconnections – sometimes having to log on again every half an hour. It all started the day I was upgraded from 1mb to 3.5mb and PlusNet said it would settle after a few weeks. It didn’t! Of course PlusNet won’t accept it is their fault or even BT’s fault – it has to be my equipment – though they won’t explain how it is that I had a good service all day every day until the day of the upgrade. The latest questions I was asked by Support, believe it or not, included: did I have a central heating pump that came on at 1800 or did I have street lighting? Central heating in a heat wave? Yes, oddly enough, my street does have street lighting – don’t most streets? Now they tell me if I insist on asking they’ll get BT to check and I’ll get a bill when (if?) it’s proved that it was my fault all along. How I wish I’d never been upgraded! Would changing ISP be any use if it really is an exchange problem?

Barry
16 REPLIES
N/A

If its your local line then changing ISP wont make any difference.

I know people who had an identical sounding problem and sorted it by removing the ring wire in the BT master socket. It has been posted on the plusnet forums before so try a search.

Do you have decent quality microfilters? what sort of snr are you getting ?
Barry_Doe
Grafter

Thanks. What's 'snr' please?

I'll have a search as you suggest. Microfilters OK - and, again, why should they work OK for a few years then suddenly cause problems on the very day I'm upgraded, and only after 1800?

Barry
N/A

SNR = Signal to Noise Ratio

If you have been maxed then you can expect some dropouts while BT's equipment tries to work out the fastest speed your line can get.

try this topic

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44430
Barry_Doe
Grafter

Thanks, Mark. Yes, I expected BT to settle down - but I've been upgraded for ,more than two months now and PlusNet said a few weeks at most. Many thanks too for that link to the topic re the wires in the BT mastersocket. Sadly, having read every posting there, I really do not understand a word and wouldn't know where to begin to even look for these wires, let alone be sure which one to remove.

Barry
Community Veteran

... why should they work OK for a few years then suddenly cause problems on the very day I'm upgraded, and only after 1800?

Like any piece of equipment, over time things fatigue and degrade, on your 1Mb connection this would not show up. On MaxDSL, where BT are pushing your line close to its theoretical maximum any little imperfection in any wire connected between you and your exchange will have a negative affect. Sad

Before you do too much else, have you tried connecting directly to the master socket, this is done by removing the faceplate on the front of the box where your phone line enters the house.

If you do this ... what changes/improves?

regards,
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Barry_Doe
Grafter

Thanks again. That's literally the box up the top of the house where the wire from the BT pole meets the gutter is it? Last time I got stepladders out and looked that had a mass of coloured wires all over the place as a left-over from the wiring BT put in years ago when I had a dedicated fax line separate from the telephone. I'll have to get a very long extension wire to connect a modem to that, and even then it's got no facilities for plugging in an extension, so I'm still 100% guess-work here.

Barry
Community Veteran

No the Master socket is the one where your main telephone plugs into.
You shouldn't need to go climbing any ladders to get to it. Smiley

If its a reasonable recent one it will have two screws accessable on the face which you need to unscrew and remove this bottom section of the socket.
This will then expose another socket inside which you can connect to and all other internal wiring will be taken out of the equation.
Barry_Doe
Grafter

Thanks, John. No, mine is an old type of small socket and not the larger rectangular sort with an extra section. In addition that is where the modem is already plugged. However, when BT wired in an extension some 20 years ago I wonder if they created a new box in the roof somewhere as it certainly doesn't come from the old master socket. I'll have to go up and look.

Barry
Community Veteran

On the old style box, remove the front, and you will see another socket, plug your router in there via a microfilter.

By doing this, you are connected directly to the BT line and so any possible internal wiring issues can be ruled in/out as the cause of your problems.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Barry_Doe
Grafter

Further to this, you say:
"On the old style box, remove the front, and you will see another socket, plug your router in there via a microfilter.
By doing this, you are connected directly to the BT line and so any possible internal wiring issues can be ruled in/out as the cause of your problems."

I have removed the front and I have four wires, with three going into terminals numbered 2, 3 and 5 and a green wire that is not used. I have no other socket showing inside the box at all, so I'm lost again!

Barry
Community Veteran

That's the "old-old-style-master-socket" ; the back of the faceplate probably says LJU2/1A. They were used before the NTE5 that the others in this thread are referring to. So it implies you have quite old BT wiring in your house. I have one too. You can get them replaced by BT -- at a price. By the way, just because it's old that doesn't imply it is the source of your problems.

EDIT: just found this thread which says more about the master socket/faceplate thing
Barry_Doe
Grafter

Thanks. So does that mean there's no way I can plug into a master socket and eliminate my extension so as to try to see if I can reduce the number of disconnsections I get? If not I know what will happen: I'll let PlusNet get BT to check they. BT, will say 'it's not our fault' and if they come to check they'll say it's my old system and charge me for coming as well as for changing anything! It's a circle - and PlusNet just won't accept it's their fault. I got disconnections every few MINUTES all morning but 'only' about every hour this evening. I really can't imagine it's my equipment though.

Barry
Community Veteran

My (perhaps limited) understanding is that your extension will be wired off your master socket; and that if in addition to the three wires you describe there is a small cicuit board with a few components (notably a largeish capacitor) on it, then that is your master socket.
If there is no circuit board within the socket, then you're looking at the extension and need to trace your wiring back until you do find the master.
But things may be more complicated as you refer to having a second and separate line into you house ... so i'll leave others better qualified to comment
Barry_Doe
Grafter

Many thanks. I was always told that was my master socket and indeed there is a small circuit board with a large capacitor. I do have a second line but that was taken off the junction box where the lines enter the property outside so is independent of the first line. The second line was discontinued by BT after I went broadband and so no longer used it. However, whilst that is my master socket it doesn't explain how I take out the extension to test if the disconnections drop etc!

Barry