cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange email problem

Fixes: 119

Strange email problem

I seem to have a problem sending emails from one of my domains hosted by PN (NameServers only).

I have three domains where PN hosts the NameServers, two of which appear to work OK with emails getting through to the correct recipients - have checked this with my mother and my wife both of whose domains are totally hosted with 123reg and have correct forwarding set. They access their emails via PN BB accounts. Emails from other sources arrive just fine.

When emails are failing the message contains the following:

name@domain.me.uk
SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<name@domain.me.uk>:
host mx0.123-reg.co.uk [195.224.48.118]: 550-Verification failed for <my@address.co.uk>
550 Sender verify failed[

Emails sent from the same domain to username@username.plus.com get through OK. Also, emails sent to one of my other domains hosted by PN are received OK. It just seems and issue with those being sent through 123reg.

My domain is due for renewal in 60 days but can't see that being a problem.

Could anyone suggest why this should be happening, where I should look for a cause and, hopefully, how to solve it?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES
dhumble
Grafter

Strange email problem

colhindene,

Some mail servers now do a reverse lookup of a senders email address, to counter SPAM and bogus sender addresses. They can do this in several ways. Firstly, they can check if an MX record exists for my@address.co.uk

An MX record tells the network what mail server recives mail for that address. Ergo, if there is an MX record, it is likely that the sender's address is legitimate.

They could test further, to see if the my in my@address.co.uk exists by doing a connection to the mail server in the above MX record and send dummy commands, as if they were going to send an email. In short, if the mail server (in the MX record), did not give an error to 'RCPT TO:<my@address.co.uk>', then the sender's email address must be legitimate.

So, how does this little knowledge help? See if your domain has an MX record. There are many MX lookup tool websites on the web but try http://mxtoolbox.com/. Type in your domain name and see if any results. You should see one or two plus.net hostnames in there. That is a nice site because you can even diagnose for errors.

** Addendum ** Offcourse, compare the results against your other two working domains.

Anyway, HTH and let us know what you find.

David
Fixes: 119

Strange email problem

Thanks taurus2.

I did a mx lookup for the offending domain and one that was working.

The results from both are practicaly the same the same. The main difference is in the mx.core.plus.net diagnostic where the offending domain has a Transaction time of over 14 seconds - stated as Not good! and the other has a Transaction time of over 9 secs - also stated as Not good!

Meanwhile this problem persists Sad

I have sent several more test emails from different PlusNet mailboxes and still only the one domain fails.

Can I assume that the issue cannot be with my mother's domain or servers, etc at 123reg and must lie with my domain?

This is very inconvenient as this domain rarely gets spam and it is what I prefer to use for personal emails.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

dhumble
Grafter

Strange email problem

Here is the result of my test

RESULT: mx.last.plus.net
Banner: mx.core.plus.net ESMTP Exim Wed, 23 May 2007 16:30:52 +0000 [156 ms]
Connect Time: 0.141 seconds - Good
Transaction Time: 1.344 seconds - Good
Relay Check: OK - This server is not an open relay.
Rev DNS Check: OK - 212.159.11.64 resolves to mx.last.plus.net

So, not sure why you were getting such poor results.

Without knowing the domainname, it is difficult to pinpoint without further testing. You are doing the right thing by not mentioning it here, where spambots could pick it up.

The only thing I can suggest is for you to look at, http://cr.yp.to/smtp/client.html. This gives details of how SMTP mail transfer works. From this you can work out how to do some 'manual' connections to a mail server and conduct tests, that may give you a clue to what is going wrong.

Beyond that, feel free to contact me. You'll find an email address for me on the FAQ page at www.taurus2.plus.com

David