cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange connection issues

David_W
Rising Star

Its very strange indeed, my connection is working fine, I can tracert to anywhere I want, but neither IE or Firefox will bring up the web pages until I reconnect with my Router (Netgear Wireless DG834G V2)

Its very perlexing because I know the internet connection is up and running because I can connect via tracert, but not via browser.

Any ideas? I'm using the LAN on my router btw, not the wireless part.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hello dgwebb,

I wonder if this might be a case of having a dirty arp cache or DNS resolver cache? If the connection appears to be up & working and you can still use tracert or ping a site but your browsers fail to load pages then it sounds like a DNS problem or a routing table problem.

**Suggest that you flush the DNS Cache (open a command window and at the command prompt type the following command c:\ipconfig /flushdns, then press return, this should clear the dns cache of any duff entries) NOTE: A hard reset of the machine will have the same effect.

**Ensure you have the correct Primary & Secondary DNS servers for F9 (you can find those on the F9 portal under my connection settings if my memory serves me).

**Check your routers settings too, go through the config page/s with a fine tooth comb and make sure nothing in the setup has been changed by mistake.

Ivan
astarsolutions
Grafter

until I reconnect with my Router (Netgear Wireless DG834G V2)

What do you mean by this?

When do run tracert or ping does it display both the friendly name and ip address, if it does your DNS settings are OK although you should still flush your cache.
N/A

Have you checked your SNR?

I had lots of problems web browsing two nights ago; pages were slow to appear and I could not access some sites. Despite that, Ping tests were showing an average of 30ms, which is near enough my normal, and there were no reported problems on System Status.

I then checked my router settings and discovered my SNR was down from its normal 24-26 to 9 :!:. At that level I suspect that there could be problems differentialing the signal from line background noise.

I opened a ticket and got the standerd reponse a day later (perform 3 speed tests) but by then things were back to normal.

I still don't know if this was an exchange problem, BT problem or F9 problem.

Fred
David_W
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies Smiley

By reconnect I mean I go into my router and hit the disconnect button, then reconnect, basically just restart the internet connection.

For tracert I use portal.f9.net.uk so I'm thinking the DNS is fine (even though I cant bring up portal.f9).

Its really puzzling. I've cleared temp, cookies etc.. to no avail, its really puzzling.
astarsolutions
Grafter

Are you using P2P software ?
How long does the connection last before you have to reset it?
Have you upgraded the firmware on your router?
David_W
Rising Star

No P2P software.
Variable times, it just stops working when I trying to look at web pages >.<
Firmware is the very latest.