cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Web Browsing Problem

N/A

Can anyone help me. About 4 days ago my home network started behaving strangely. I have opened a fault log but in keeping with many of the posts on here, I don't seem to be getting any answers.

The problem can be summed up in a nutshell. This is consistently
what happens when you try to access the following websites:

1) news.bbc.co.uk - Never a problem, loads instantly
2) www.microsoft.com - Never loads just says waiting for www.microsoft.com. Eventually times out.

There are a number of examples of the two scenarios I can give but I cannot understand why this is happening. I have two machines on the network (Windows XP, Linux) and both have exactly the same problem. Tried different web browsers and no change. No firewall rules blocking anything either.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can diagnose / solve the problem? I know this is not a connection dropping issue due to the consistency of the problem but Plus net seem to think this is it (never had this problem before either) and are now switching on interleaving!

Thanks
3 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

CouldI ask what DNS servers you are using or if your router is auto detecting them. For some bizarr reason a number of people ive spoken to have told me their router picks up the .6.9 and .6.10 servers and ive had problems with those in the past.

Why not try hard setting your systems to use

212.159.13.49 (Plusnet)
212.159.13.50 (Plusnet)

208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS)
208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS)

I have mine setup too mix the two sets. Basically

PN
ODNS
PN
ODNS

And I dont seem to be having many problems. www.microsoft.com opened a treat for me.

Regards,
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Have you got a list of the other sites that don't work? Are Amazon, eBay, Hotmail, MSN and the London Congestion Charge site amonst those that don't work?

If so it may be MTU related. The following site has a lot of details that are worth a read and a few suggestions for MTU to try:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/tweak.htm
N/A

Guys, I tried both suggestions and it seems to have done the trick. Many thanks for both of your help. I am not sure why I have needed to change these settings after all this time but many thanks cos it worked!