cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange SMTP error

N/A

Strange SMTP error

Folks

PN tech support can't seem to help me (and whenever they escalate, things go a lot slower prior to escalation).

Here's the scenario.
* I have a domain registered with GoDaddy
* The MX records point at my fasthosts account for POP3
* The machine name points at something else which works fine
* My SMTP server relay.plus.net does not work.

Everything was fine until Dec 23rd when i made some DNS changes which now reflects the above. Previous, when the domain was at GoDaddy, everything was point at Fasthosts and I used Plusnet SMTP all worked fine.

The error I get is "503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA".

Any ideas?
8 REPLIES
___oDiN__
Grafter

Strange SMTP error

try this
The server responded: 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA

means you must check your email before trying to send mail. The mail server requires authentication, which can be achieved using one of these methods:

1. Pop before smtp -- check your email for new mail before trying to send email. This adds your IP address to a relayhosts file and allows any email to be sent from that IP address for up to 30 minutes. After 30 minutes you have to authenticate again.

2. Configure your email client to authenticate automatically by checking the "my server requires authentication" box in your email configuration. You will be able to send mail without having to "pop" your mail box first.
N/A

Strange SMTP error

Thanks Odini. But isn't this if you're using the same company for POP3 and SMTP? REmeber that I'm checking my POP3 at fasthosts and trying to use SMTP at Plus

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding poat removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

Re: Strange SMTP error

* The MX records point at my fasthosts account for POP3

MX Records should point at the SMTP server and not the POP/IMAP server.
Mail eXchanger is what SMTP servers use for finding the right server to talk to when trying to deliver the mail.
If you are using Fasthosts for all the mail POP3 and SMTP then how you have it is correct.

If the error

The error I get is "503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA".

is comming from relay.plus.net then PlusNet don't recognise your domain as a valid one you can send from.

As the error seems to be in the Recipient information it could be the MX records are incorrect or the domain can't be resolved.

I use my own mail servers here and if you PM a valid address on the domain to me I can test to see if that is the case.
N/A

Strange SMTP error

As the test mail went through fine, I'd suggest adding the following to the ticket.

The domain I am using is not currently hosted with PlusNet, but I would like to be able to use the PlusNet smtp server (relay.plus.net) as my outgoing mail server for the domain when I'm using my PlusNet connection

If they say this isn't possible you will have to check to see if fasthosts provide an outgoing SMTP service and subscribe to that and update your mail client as instructed by fasthosts
N/A

Strange SMTP error

Fasthosts only have an SMTP service for Fasthosts broadband subscribers.

What I don't understand is that it used to work, with incoming mail going to fasthosts and outgoing from plusnet with the same domain.

Is it because I have just updated the MX records incorrectly?
N/A

Strange SMTP error

As the test prooved, the current MX setup works fine so leave that alone for now.

It is possible that PlusNet recently tightened security on relay.plus.net to ensure that being a plusnet customer on a plusnet connection is no longer enough to send mail, and they now require that the domain is hosted with them or has been granted permission to be used with relay.plus.net. This is probably due to the recent blacklisting of PlusNet's mail servers on certain lists.

Try the above comment on the ticket and see what comes of it, until that waiting game is over it looks like you are stuck with webmail until then.

An alternative is to use your plusnet e-mail address as your sending address and set your domain address as the 'reply-to', but that will mean having two accounts set up in OE/Thunderbird/Mozilla, one for sending one for receiving.
N/A

Strange SMTP error

That doesn't seem to tally with my experiences though

I have 2 domain names which I use for email purposes (ittinit.co.uk and intotouch.co.uk) neither of which is hosted with plusnet. I run my own incoming mail server, which handles mail for both domains, as well as my own outgoing mail server. I can, however, use the relay.plus.net server to send mail from either of these domains... And I have certainly never had to ask plusnet for permission to be able to do this.
Community Veteran

Strange SMTP error

dlevinehpc,

Can you post the full headers for one of the emails that was rejected?