cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Downloading Problem -advice?

N/A

I'm trying to download a game demo, empire at war, and started about 5.15. My firefox speed indicator showed it was downloading at 249kbps and this continued for about 5 mins and indicated that it would take approx 45 mins to download.

After that, the download speed has lowered by 1kbps approx every few mins until it's now showing as 118kbps. The thing is, I don't think that indicator is correct as the amount downloaded has barely altered in the last 10 mins.

The strange thing is, I just did a speedtest on adsl guide and using the plusnet test (I know you won't get a correct reading as it's downloading) but both gave me results of over 1900kbps.

I realise this isn't the greatest amount of info but I'm wondering if this is a problem with the download or if this is some sort of shaping.

I'm on premier 2mb and I've used 2.73gb in total this month.
3 REPLIES
N/A

hi

had his once b4 with firefox and it was trying to download and then open rather than save to hard drive so it basically waited for it all to download onto my pc b4 openiing but it showed as a slow file ie no change after 20minutes [check ur firewall and see whats coming in
N/A

Thanks Dave. I gave up in the end an cancelled the download as it appeared to be frozen.

In the interim I've set it to download using IE and it's stable at 235kbps and I've downloaded 520 out of 741.

Hopefully this is now ok. Must be a firefox glitch of some sort.
N/A

You should try to download large files using a download manager (like getright, which is shareware), it will let you pause and resume downloads.