cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop posting 'slow speeds on MaxDSL' threads - READ THIS!

N/A

This was posted over at ADSLGuide reagarding a service announcement from PlusNet:

Our engineers have identified a problem with some of the scripts that run to process a customer's account as part of the MaxDSL upgrades. This has lead to some customers synching at the higher speeds but not seeing any increased download speeds, even after BT have updated your line profile on their side.

We are about to start applying the fix for this, though as part of the process we will have to disconnect customers who are affected by this problem. Once this has taken effect, and once BT have provided us with an updated line profile, you will see increased download speeds.
10 REPLIES
N/A

This was taken from here I believe.
The third paragraph states
In order to ensure that there are no problems caused by disconnecting everyone at the same time, we are going to be carrying out these disconnections over the next forty eight hours. If you are disconnected as a result of this, you will be able to reconnect again without problem.

Note the date this was posted was
2006-05-09 18:07:03

So the 48 hrs is up - and guess what - people are still having problems, and no further update.

We don't know if its the same reason taking longer or some other problem....
Community Veteran

The post referenced by aires is related to the stable rate being much lower than their actual sync speed. This was an issue with scripts run by PN at 8am and 8pm.

People are still having problems with the fact that routers are syncing at speeds that are unstable at certain times of the day ... until there are enough people shouting at BT it will stay that way, unless they have a router that allows them to set the preferred sync speed.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

People are still having problems with the fact that routers are syncing at speeds that are unstable at certain times of the day ... until there are enough people shouting at BT it will stay that way, unless they have a router that allows them to set the preferred sync speed.
Yes, this is my pain. I keep syncing at very high speeds, but end up wtih a SNR of about 3 dB. This _just about_ works during the daytime (with CRC errors), but when it drops in the evening the connection goes all over the palce. It still manages 1900 download speeds, but can be forced to retrain say, every 10 minutes.
N/A

Well did I boob or didn't I?

Anyway I liked saying shut up! lol Cheesy
N/A

This is the complete status update.
Aires69uk put up the first two paragraphs, I put the third and the posting time up to complete the picture.
Sorry to re-quote it all again, but at least this way its in context and in the right order as it appeared.

2006-05-09 18:07:03
MaxDSL Upgrades - Update
Our engineers have identified a problem with some of the scripts that run to process a customer's account as part of the MaxDSL upgrades. This has lead to some customers synching at the higher speeds but not seeing any increased download speeds, even after BT have updated your line profile on their side.

We are about to start applying the fix for this, though as part of the process we will have to disconnect customers who are affected by this problem. Once this has taken effect, and once BT have provided us with an updated line profile, you will see increased download speeds.

In order to ensure that there are no problems caused by disconnecting everyone at the same time, we are going to be carrying out these disconnections over the next forty eight hours. If you are disconnected as a result of this, you will be able to reconnect again without problem.

Kind Regards,

Jonathan Whiting
Customer Support

Edit:Fixed quote tags
sophos9
Grafter

Well did I boob or didn't I?

Anyway I liked saying shut up! lol Cheesy

Dude, you boobed.

Bottom line is as sallyandjames said, the problems resolution window was 48hours. Clearly with the level of complaint posts on this subject the problem has not been resolved for whatever reason

These are all punters paying for the service whilst having no vision of when the problem will be resolved so telling them all to shut up is a bit extreme

I take it you are not being affected by this problem?
N/A

Nope Zen are not currently reporting any problems. lol
Xenolith
Grafter

unless they have a router that allows them to set the preferred sync speed.
SW.

So, out of interest, does anyone know of a router that would allow this, because I think I'm going to need it - my router is now synching at a crazy 2Mb (crazy for me; 1Mb is more realistic for my line)?
pt1158
Dabbler

According to the following test report:

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/hw_reviews_adsl_belkin7633.php

the Belkin 7633 allows you to specify a SNR which the router will sync at. This can be used to cause the line to sync at a lower (more stable) rate or a higher (less stable) rate. I haven't got one of these beasties myself to try it out, but it sounds interesting. Has anyone on here any experience of this router who can confirm or deny whether it works.
madswitcher
Grafter

well my was running spendidly, but has suddenly dropped to 1.5 M bps. for a sync sped of 6.2

I tried the speed test as suggested on the ticket scheme - got 1.1, 1.3 and 1.4. I put the ticket in and they bounced it back with fault not found. Tried to ring the help line and after 3 to 4 mins of announcements I get a voice telling me that the wait time is 40mins! at 10:30 on a Friady night, PN must have mucho problemo or are vastly understaffed.

Could someone help please - FNF is not an acceptable reply?

Mike