cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stock answer completely avoids answering my question!

N/A

Here is a copy of my recent query with support..... I have just replaced names with xxxxx to protect identities! As you can see it is just a stock answer, and doesn't actually answer my question. Infact, they are asking me to do things that they could do themselves (check status of exchange etc), and don't actually answer the main issue, which is:
If my router is syncing at about 3300, why is the profile set to 283?? Seems to be stuck to me, hasn't moving the last few days!

Oh well, maybe time to look for another provider!

[Support Wizard Journey]
[Ask the Support Team Your Question]
[Ask the Support Team Your Question]
[Additional Information]
Since the ADSL Max "Upgrade" (currently a big step backwards!) the speed of my connection has been very variable. It started off looking good, getting higher speeds than I did before the upgrade. For the last week of so the speed has been very poor, far below what I would expect (even taking contention into account).

The router is connecting and syncing at a very respectable speed, as shown below, but the actual download speeds are unacceptable.

According the the Netgear DG834 router the connection speed for downstream is 3360 kbps, attenuation of 48db and noise margin of 3db. However, when actually doing a speed test, the download speed is unacceptable, at 238.0 Kbps. Upload speed is fine at 376.8 Kbps. I have tried both your speed checker and adslguide.org.uk and both give very similar results. The problem is also apparent when downloading from other sites, with a speed of about 30KBytes/Sec seen, about 1/4 or what I would expect.

I have tried disconnecting everything else from the line, and just leaving the modem and a single filter connected, and also tried different filters. This has not made any noticable change to the speed.

The online line checker says that the exchange is suffering heavy contention, but even so I would expect to get speeds considerably better than I am.

Thanks
xxxx

Copied To: xxxx@xxxxxxxxx.org.uk

Your comment 11:15pm, Monday 27th November 2006
I have just completed the test at speedtester.bt.com and the results are as follows:
=============
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 283 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3040 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 222 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
=============

Why if the connection speed is 3040, is the IP rate only 283, and what needs to be done to fix this and get my ADSL working at a sensible speed?

Thanks
xxxx

xxxxx xxxxxxx CSC Analyst 3:21pm, Wednesday 29th November 2006
Dear Mr xxxxxx,
Please be advised that BT have recently advised us that just under 50% of the UK's telephone exchanges are heavily contended.

As such, your speeds may be slower at peak times, or in general.

Please check your telephone number with the following tool, and find out the status of the VP Capacity:

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges

If this shows as green, please perform three speedtests, as per the following document:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

If this shows as RED, BT should be undertaking work as soon as possible to get the capacity upgraded; also, unfortunately, we are unable to do anything about this.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
xxxx xxxxx

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Yes, that is a very poor reply. Sad

Clearly the customer knows best.

The fact is BT have set your line speed very low, at some point you modem must have connected at a very low speed (maybe caused by electrical interference, or some intermittent physical fault on your phone line ). Over any 3 day period BT will increase the speed to the minimum they have seen, so sit tight for 3 days, if it does not improve then PN can start to look at it.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Yeah, apart from it having been really slow since Friday. I only found the bt speedcheck thing the other night, so haven't been monitoring closely for three days.... we will see what happens!
N/A

Sadly it appears that the speed problem is being caused by problems at the BT and your house end of things rather than the PN end.

I would have hoped that PN would have made some effort to explain the steps, rather than simply issuing the instruction.

Anyhow, basically, BT require the three speed tests before they will consider that there is a line fault or start any investigation. In this case the problem is with your SNR (3db is very low)

There are lots of tips and tweaks to help eliminate internal noise, but if the stats you posted were recorded at the master socket in your house, it seems you will have to jump through the hoops to get BT to send an engineer to check it out.

If the stats are not from your master socket, you should try testing from there (test socket behind faceplate on an NTE5 box) if the stats improve then it seems likely the problem is in part internal. If it is internal, post back, and you'll get a wealth of ideas to solve any internal problems.
N/A

To add, I can't see how exchange VP problems could possibly cause such a low SNR, as this is a characteristic of your line to the exchange, rather than to do with exchange throughput. Methinks thats a red herring. Wink
carrot63
Grafter

The ability of CS staff to read tickets seems to be virtually zero. I'm not even entirely sure they get as far as the end of the first line. I'm sure a sensible user comment will receive the same cut/paste response as pasting the lyrics to a Beatles song, as in perhaps:

User: "When I get old and find the time, many years from now.."

PN CS: "Please try rebooting your router and connecting directly to the master socket"

Resistance IS useless!!
carrot63
Grafter

Anyhow, basically, BT require the three speed tests before they will consider that there is a line fault or start any investigation. In this case the problem is with your SNR (3db is very low)

3db IS low, but it depends on whether the router has just been rebooted or has been running for a while. In my experience with the DG834, the SNR figure will be 'correct" (6 for Max, 12 for LLU) on a reboot, but will begin to drift after a while. I've even had odb before, with no apparent effect on stability.
N/A

Surely they'd tell you the correct lyric is:

When I get older losing my hair, many years from now?

Or have I got the wrong song?

(When I'm Sixty-four) :shock:
N/A

Yeah, see what you mean, never noticed before.

Mine has drifted down to 4.4.

*James goes to reboot and check again*
carrot63
Grafter

Surely they'd tell you the correct lyric is:

When I get older losing my hair, many years from now?

Ahh!! Ahhhh!! My point exactly! They SHOULD do, but to do so they'd have to read the first line, so me the clueless user would remain ignorant! Cheesy
N/A

I did try connecting directly to the master socket, with very similar results... I was under the impression that as the sync speed went up the SNR went down.... so with my SNR being so low it would make sense for the system to set my sync speed down to something lower to boost the SNR. I am quite a long way from the exchange, so I am never expecting to get rocket speeds! Rather than setting the profile down to a lower speed, wouldn't it make more sense to drop the sync speed a bit??

I know that this is really down to BT, rather than PN, but it is PN that I have the contract with, so hence them that I need to deal with (at least initially) to get this sorted.
N/A

Re-booted and mine is now back to 5.9, but with a reduced sync rate.

I would surmise that this means mine was reporting the correct figure, and now its had a change to get back towards the target 6.

Following this I would reckon that a coupla re-boots of the router would get the SNR up, and the Sync down to the targeted 'happy medium' No idea what the two figures should be though.

*wishes Gerry was around, he's good at doing the sums*

Then is it just a matter of time before the BT IP Profile corrects itself to match, or will that require some openreach type kicking?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I had the exact same reply on my question too. Also blaming BT's exchange etc.

Plus are getting very bad at respecting their customers.

This is becoming pathetic.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!