cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still Receiving Spam and Now Virus Infected E-Mails!

N/A

Although the new PlusNet spam folder is catching scores of spams each day nine or ten (untagged) are being filtered by Outlook into my Outlook spam folder. More worryingly, having not received a virus-infected e-mail for years, I have had four within the last two days. Fortunately, all were intercepted by AVG and moved to the virus vault.

All four came from HotMail addresses and contained the same virus: -
Viruses found in the attached files.
The file website.pif: Virus identified I-Worm/Netsky.B. The attachment was moved to the virus vault.

The original message follows:
take it easy

Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.467 / Virus Database: 269.8.0/819 - Release Date: 26/05/2007 10:47

Pretty worrying.
2 REPLIES
Scorpuk
Grafter

I would recommend you check you suspect folder on SquirrelMail you may also find that you have been sending e-mails with virus' to people. Even to people you don't even know!!!!

Just checked mine today and I, apparently, sent about 6 e-mails with virus' attached. Plus some other bogus e-mails!
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Still Receiving Spam and Now Virus Infected E-Mails!

Pretty worrying.

I would agree, especially if this has been getting through our virus filter for 'years'.

The first thing I would do is check the full message headers of one of the emails to make sure it did actually pass through our virus scanner.

Our virus definitions are updated regularly (from Sophos I think) so we shouldn't really see stuff getting through unless its a *very* new virus.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵