cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still Being Billed Even After Migrating

N/A

I signed up with Plusnet in August 2004 with a 12 month contract. At the time places such as ADSLguide were full of glowing reports and recommendations to use PlusNet as your ISP ( how things have changed eh ? Tongue )
Fed up with their "prioritization" of Usenet connection I applied for my MAC and got it on 26th of September. I was under the impression that my 12 month contract had expired and I was free to move.
However that seems not to be the case.
Perhaps it was a misunderstanding on my part when originally signed up thinking that I was free to leave after 12 months, like it was a misunderstanding on my part that Plusnet were advertizing themselves at the time when I signed up as " PlusNet - Broadband ADSL and Unmetered Internet Service Provider" as it says on the top line of my acount details print out.
Despite not being able to log onto an adsl account at Plusnet any more since 27 September 2005, Plusnet are billing me right up to 19th November 2005.

I thought my 12 month contract had expired and I was free to move. Perhaps PlusNet should explain to their potential customers more clearly that their 12 month contracts don't actually mean that you can migrate to another ISP at any time of their choice once the 12 months has expired.
7 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

You still have to give 30 days notice. After your annual contract expires you go onto a monthly contract. Any payments due within the 30 day notice period will still be taken, but you are able to ask for a refund of any days that have been paid for after the 30 day notice period finishes.

Phil
Community Veteran

When you migrated, did you inform PN that the migration had completed ether by ticket or phone?

Sometimes BT/BTW don't inform the losing ISP when a migration has completed so PN will still bill you as they are not aware you are no longer a customer. Issuing a MAC is no guarantee that the user will migrate so they must default to assuming you are still a customer until told otherwise.

The problem with BT/BTW not informing plusnet has been ging on for some time now so you can't blame PN for a mistake by BT/BTW.

However, I suspect it's the normal payment due during the 30 day notice period. What you should do is ask for a refund for any days paid for after this 30 day notice period and PN will refund them.
N/A

I had to phone PlusNet support 3 times between 27th and 28th September because I couldn't log onto my adsl account. They palmed me off twice saying my account was still active and there had been some routine server work done and I needed to switch off my PC for an hour then reboot. Finally on the third phone call Plusnet suggested that my migration had indeed gone through over night and that I should contact Zen and get my new login details from them.
So Plusnet did know on the 29th September that my migration had gone through.

It's worth the £21.99 to have left PlusNet, but I will ask for a full refund of money that they owe me.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceding post removed as it is unnecessary]
N/A

Thanks for the info. I too was expecting (but happy) to get stung by this 30 day rule but now I'll be getting in touch for a rebate. Recoup some of my cash at least having wasted enough money through pn already this past couple of months.
N/A

When you migrated, did you inform PN that the migration had completed ether by ticket or phone?

Yes I did inform PlusNet I had migrated and I've been through my email records and found their reply which says on 26th September "Migration Noted" I also spoke on the phone to support a couple of days later.

I applied for my MAC on 21st Sept, a day after my usual billing date, received it on 26th and signed up with Zen straight away then ticketed PlusNet to tell them that I was leaving and got the "Migration Noted" reply.

At the moment however PlusNet are trying to bill me up to 19th November and saying that the start of my 30 day notice period is 19th October becasue that's when they've replied to my ticket asking why I had received a notice for a bill for the forthcoming period 20th October to 19th November, however I think they should only be billing me up to 26th October if their 30 day rule applies.

I also remember getting an email around that time saying that although I was no longer a PN customer my email would remain working for a couple of months to facilitate moving to my new address, but I can't find that message at the moment.

The money doesn't matter, it's the bad taste left after dealing with this outfit who have been pulling one dirty trick after another throughout the last 14 months, advertizing themselves as an unlimited adsl provider then trying to impose caps once people signed up, proposing a FUP then withdrawing it only to come back with an even stricter one. I won't hesitate to point out the failings of PlusNet to anyone asking for an opinion on a message board or newsgroup.
hitachi
Grafter

Your 30 day notice starts when you apply for the mac not when you get it,
If you applied on the 21st sept and your billing date was the 20th sept you will still have to pay on the 20th of Oct because that is in the 30 days, then apply for a refund for the unused 29 days.
N/A

That's not what Plusnet have been telling me.
They were suggesting that I needed to have contacted them by ticket or phone and tell them that the migration had indeed taken place

Any way, Plusnet have just messaged me this morning to say they've credited my account with the difference so presumably everything is now OK and the good thing is I'm now getting uncapped adsl from Zen and can use p2p and Usenet at any time of my chosing without speed reductions.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceding post removed, again]