cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam included in peak-time management?

N/A

Sorry if this has been asked(i did search).

Just wondering if anyone knows if Steam is included in the services affected by peak-time management? My steam is going hella slow right now around ~30kb/s. Is there a list of which protocols/ports are affected?

Cheers,

Will.

P.S. Peak-time management is rubbish, you shouldnt just cap at 60kb/s full stop, it should be related to the current load on the 'pipes'. I think less ppl would complain if u capped them!
11 REPLIES
N/A

STEAM works on P2P principles afaik ... so yup it'll be throttled to death in peak.
N/A

stormie,

But do you know this for a fact? and when we are talking about steam, are we talking about downloads/updates? since they are also governed by the steam servers and traffic to and from them.

Or are we talking about the games, hosted via steam?

willmcgregor,

There is no capping, capping implies a physical limit on the line. P2P is not limited, it's managed, to give it's traffic a lesser priority than that of surfing or e-mail, but it's not stopped or capped.
I'm not sure steam is actually a P2P based application, but rather a FTP based appplication. We also need to establish whether we are talking about the games or the steam updates.
N/A

I'm talking just about the steam updates and online installs.
N/A

They work via an FTP based method as far as I know, as they are issued from controlled servers. P2P would imply they are distributed via a network built with customers machines, which they are not.

Steam is designed to update in phases, so they don't overload the network or their bandwidth, and it's designed to allow people to delay updates or not be-online etc.
N/A

The best time to get Steam updates is first thing in the morning when all the yanks are asleep.

Recently d/l the DOD:S preload on the first day of release with no probs at all. afaik WOW uses P2P but that’s the only game I have come across that does.
N/A

My mistake. Apologies.
N/A

Sorry but the service is capped, as far as im concerned. Capped to me means an upper limit which cannot be exceded(i could'nt find a suitable definition anywhere). As you can see below the upper limit during peak-time is 67Kbps.

This means data intensive usage, including peer-2-peer, USENET and SSH traffic, will be restricted to a maximum speed of 67Kbps, during peak-time hours (4pm-midnight), 7 days a week. Standard web browsing and email will not be affected.

I would like an offical plusnet definition of "data intensive usage" anyone? Everytime something messes up now the first thing i suspect is the "peak-time managment". Maybe you could explain how the 'restiction' is done? Please at least clarify if VOIP(teamspeak, googletalk etc.) is affected
Community Veteran

That would be if you are on a managed profile. The maximum reduction you should see on a day to day basis is about 10%. By your definition of cap there are no caps on plusnet accounts as you can exceed the SUP limits.
N/A

Well i am on a 'managed profile' and that is what my question is about. Maybe i wasnt clear, an upper limit of Kbps, as in per second, not as in per anything else. I thought that would be obvious from the section made bold in the quote and the sentence directly after my 'definition'.

Let me reclarify, between 4-12 I am limited to a dl speed of ~5kB/s up and ~5kB/s down (this is Bittorrent I am talking about). I want to know 'offically' what other services this 'peak-time management' on download speed is applied to, and how the 'cap' is applied and whether this 'peak-time management' is to blame for all my sh*t not working??

I don't know what you mean by "The maximum reduction you should see on a day to day basis is about 10%."? Reduction in the amount i can download? Are you talking about people who are not on a 'managed profile'? I also have no idea what SUP is.

Is that clear enough?
N/A

Nothing is clear to me, why is everything so complicated at PN. I gotta make my own thread now to ask what all the abbreviations mean
N/A

Let me reclarify, between 4-12 I am limited to a dl speed of ~5kB/s up and ~5kB/s down (this is Bittorrent I am talking about). I want to know 'offically' what other services this 'peak-time management' on download speed is applied to, and how the 'cap' is applied and whether this 'peak-time management' is to blame for all my sh*t not working??

If your account is already managed, all P2P Traffic, SSH, and Usernet traffic will be managed. How managed depends on whether you are within the peek time management or 24 hour managed. It won't affect any other traffic.

I don't know what you mean by "The maximum reduction you should see on a day to day basis is about 10%."? Reduction in the amount i can download? Are you talking about people who are not on a 'managed profile'? I also have no idea what SUP is.

The 10% reduction Daniel is refering to is the traffic shaping which is performed on all premier accounts during peak hours against P2P and SSH, and Usernet traffic.

SUP = Sustainable Usage Policy, PN new idea of controlling usage amongst it's customer base.