cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP question/s

N/A

Static IP question/s

Hey,

I'm just looking into multiple IP's, I've got two main PC's on my network and both run various web related things, FTP, webserver, game server. If I had say two IPs, could I assign one to each computer so both could be fully acccess from the internet? I've three more PC's on the network, but i dont run anything on them. and I'm not been stupid requesting like 10 IP's as some people seem to do.

and if so, would this require any special hardware?

Cheers guys.
8 REPLIES
jberry
Grafter

Static IP question/s

Hi there,

Yes you could, you would need a block of 4 addresses for this (which you should request through link:contact us). How you would set this up depends on your hardware.

Regards,
N/A

Static IP question/s

Four IP's? Why that many?

My hardware is just a generic modem + router.

Router: Netgear WGT624
Modem: D-link DSL-300T

All PC's are running XP Pro.

My router and modem aren't really businessy or anything, so I dont know if it will support it. If my setup will support multiple IPs then I'll send a ticket in. Don't suppose you can tell me what i can look for to check if they support multiple IPs.
Community Veteran

Static IP question/s

4 IPs only gives you one extra usable IP because of the way they are allocated:

If you had 4 IPs starting 80.229.5.16

1 = Network address 80.229.5.16
2 = router 80.229.5.17
3 = free 80.229.5.18
4 = broadcast address 80.229.5.19

With 1 & 4 are not usable for servers.

So you would use IP 2 with NAT/port forwarding to an internal IP address to run one webserver and IP 3 directly through to run the other webserver (which will need a firwall running on it as it is directly accessable from the internet).

Now if you happen to have 3 separate webservers you would need 8 IPs (5 usable)
N/A

Static IP question/s

Well the way I see it, is that it's like a DMZ.... Is that true? So I can have an IP assigned to each of the computers, and any connections sent to IP1 will be sent to computer one, and IP2 to computer 2. Therefore not needing any port forwarding setup, or would port forwarding need to be setup for each individual service?
Community Veteran

Static IP question/s

Almost yes but also no Wink

As I explained IP's 1 & 4 cannot normally be used for PCs as they have a special purpose: IP 1 defines the start of your 4 IP block and IP 4 is used for the broadcast address of your IP block often refered to as the end IP of your IP block.

What happens to IP 2 & 3 depends on what ADSL equipment you have.

If you have an external router, IP 2 is assigned to that and you need to use port forwarding to use that IP for a web server on your local network.

If you have a USB modem, IP 2 will become the IP address of the PC the modem is connected to and thus used to access any webserver or other servies on that PC.

IP 3 can be assigned to any other PC in your network like a DMZ (i.e. your 2nd webserver - assuming the first is the one your USB modem is connected to).

In both cases you need to be very careful of security and how access to your servers is restricted just to those services.
N/A

Static IP question/s

I must add to this, more in a security conciuous way than anything.

If you are not sure about the basic structures of IP networks, then you shoulnd't be venturing into this yet.
N/A

Static IP question/s

IP Networks may be new to me, but in fairness security isn't an issue. I can secure a network fine.

What I'm curious is whether my hardware supports this....
Community Veteran

Static IP question/s

Your hardware supports what? A 4 IP block? if so it should do if you are using a router.

If you tell us what router or ADSL modem hardware you are using and how your PCs are interconnected there may be someone who can confirm it will run with more than 1 IP address.