cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP as an optional extra ?

N/A

A static IP address can be useful for some customers, and not a lot of use for others. Would it not be possible to have this as a priced optional extra, say £2 or £3 a month to 'opt in'. I know this is one of the differences between the Plus and Premier accounts, but to be honest most of the 'extras' on the Premier account arae no use to me, and it isn't worth paying the extra £7 for the static IP alone.
40 REPLIES
N/A

Certainly agree with you on this point!

It would be most interesting to here from the comms team as to why +net haven't implemented such a thing (unless there is one in the pipework?)

The ONLY extra which I need from the premier account is the static IP, and that is only to make remote access to my server a lil easier. I would be happy to pay £3 for it, but I really can't stretch to the extra £7 ATM.
N/A

If you feel you need a static IP on BB+/PAYG but arn't willing to pay the extra for Premier a service you could look at is http://www.dyndns.org.
N/A

Thanks DS Smiley

I have used DYNDNS and other such services, but it is still not the same as having your own IP.
lowry
Grafter

Broadband PAYG customers get a Static IP by default.

matt Wink
N/A

Thanks Darkskye but agree with ferretboy, Dyndns just isn't the same. A static IP in itself can be increadably useful, and it seems odd that PAYG customers get it, but not Plus customers. A £3 a month surcharge for a static IP sounds reasonable for those of us who want / need it.
N/A

Just thinking about how things have progressed in the last few months...
Originally the usage was more-or-less controlled by the type of user or explicit protocol constraints, but now the traffic is monitored on pretty much all accounts and throttling applied as necessary. Also static IP has been used in conjunction with BB+ to allow the monitoring until there is a scheme that allows this to be done with dynamic IP.

So... why don't we now allow either staic or dynamic IP to be requested by the user on any account? This could be done immediately for BB+, and could be introduced on the others once the monitoring with dynamic IP is solved.
N/A

From memory, the option of electing to have a dynamic IP for all accounts is something that PlusNet have said they would look at.

However with demand being relatively low for this option and bearing in mind the amount of development which has to be devoted to other areas I cant see this being too high up the work stack.
N/A

But they could offer static IP on BB+ now, as they are using it themselves Wink It is the only thing that prevents me from using BB+ rather than PAYG - and as I said, with the traffic management in place, there should not be a need to maintain the dynamic IP constraint on this product anymore.

I am not personally interested in dynamic IP, but I know several people have requested it before. It just seems to me that if you can have both options on one product (BB+), then it can't be that difficult.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

From memory, the option of electing to have a dynamic IP for all accounts is something that PlusNet have said they would look at.

It is, and it's one of the projects that will be looked into after the automation work on the Ellacoyas is complete. I wonder though how much demand there would be for a chargeable static IP option on Broadband Plus.
N/A

I wonder though how much demand there would be for a chargeable static IP option on Broadband Plus.

Like most things, it would depend how much was to be charged. However, I am not convinced you would now need to charge anything extra as you have in place all those other tools to manage the usage profile of BB+ subscribers.

My guess is that it would be mainly the email & web-browsing community, but who want SMTP delivery for email.

The promised free off-peak usage on PAYG will narrow the gap between the products a bit... when are we likely to see that rolled out?

It just seemed to me that anything that makes your products a bit more flexible has got to increase the population of potential customers - and it then boils down to how difficult it is to implement... Since you are already using static IP for other reasons with some BB+ subscribers, it must be reasonably straightforward?

Cheers

Geoff
N/A

I am not convinced you would now need to charge anything extra.

Well this is self explaintory, extra service = extra money, check other ISP's dynamic accounts if you want a static you will find it costs extra.

Of course then there is the fact that a static IP would defy plus.net's own definition of the plus product as an entry level product, entry level users don't need static IP's they are more needed for the "power user" class who want to run servers etc.
Community Veteran

Of course then there is the fact that a static IP would defy plus.net's own definition of the plus product as an entry level product, entry level users don't need static IP's they are more needed for the "power user" class who want to run servers etc.

Then why not create a new type of account if the demand is there. For example it could be called "Broadband Plus Gold" or something more imaginative.
N/A

For example it could be called "Broadband Plus Gold" or something more imaginative.

HomeSurf Plus Wink
LiamM
Grafter

Broadband Plumier

Broaband Prus

Like Plus but with the extras of Premier.