cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stalling broadband

N/A

Stalling broadband

Right, I'm not that technical but my broadband connection seems to keep "stalling" . I can happily browse the net for hours then suddenly nothing - it doesn't disconnect, it just doesn't connect to any pages or download any email.

I then try disconnecting and reconnecting but it won't connect to the server unless I reboot my computer. Then it works fine.

Any ideas what it could be? I haven't changed my computer set-up in any way so I'm at a loss? Shockedops:
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Stalling broadband

How long has this been happening? And what equipment do you use to connect to ADSL?

Thomas
N/A

Stalling broadband

It has started happening for about the last week or so. Although it has done it in the past.

Re connecting to ADSL I just use an external USB modem which is plugged directly into the phone socket.
Community Veteran

Stalling broadband

Hmm - I wonder... it could be something to do with the weather. Changes in temperature and other weather conditions affect the metals in the line, which therefore affects the quality of the signal down the line. However, that wouldn't explain why you can reconnect after rebooting...

The other option is that it could be a dodgy modem - USB modems are known to suffer from problems pertaining to lack of power from the PC's power supply unit, or general stability issues. However that wouldn't explain why it happens randomly...

:?

Thomas
N/A

Stalling broadband

It is puzzling isn't it? And v. annoying!

Guess I will have to think about maybe doing a reformat of my HD :shock: to see if that solves the problem.
Community Veteran

Stalling broadband

It could very well be a power issue with the USB modem.
Don't forget that the domestic mains supply is not constant during the whole day and does very quite a lot with the load put on by kettles etc.
I know that the PSU for a PC is supposed to regulate its out put to cater for this, but no requlation system is 100% so there will be a small change when the mains drops.
This could be enough to upset your USB modem if it is already on the limits.

I suggest borrowing another modem from a pal if you can or better still a router if you know anyone with one.
This would help to prove it.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Stalling broadband

Hi,

Have you installed any additional hardware recently, in particular anything USB? I've seen plenty of power management issues in the past with USB devices which this has similar symptoms to.
If the modem draws too much power the motherboard can shut it down and then generally only a reboot will get you back online.
N/A

Stalling broadband

Re connecting to ADSL I just use an external USB modem which is plugged directly into the phone socket.

No Filter?
Community Veteran

Stalling broadband

If its directly into the phone socket with no phones connected anywhere on the line then you don't need a filter.