Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable rate too low...

slytuk
Grafter

Stable rate too low...

Hi,

I am getting a stable rate showing of 3000 - however my hardware connects between the mid to high 4000 - ocasionally going as high as 6000.

Plus say if your hardware connects higher than your stable rate, to disconnect and reconnect your hardware for 3 days. Today is the 5th day and it is still stuck at 3000.

My connection was activated on 11th May and I really wanna get the most out of the connection.

I appreciate 8MB is unobtainable, but it seems that 5 should not be.

My download speeds seem to be actually close to a 2.5mb connection, which makes me think that plus are limiting based on the 3000 value.

My questions are - How do I actually get the stable rate to increase?

Also is disconnecting reconnecting the hardware actually causing the tracking software of BT to think the line is unstable ?

I have not had a network disconnection from the phone line in a week, so I think my line should be pushed further.

Thanks

Sly
6 REPLIES
N/A

Stable rate too low...

I had a similar problem and raised a ticket. I was told NOT to keep disconnecting and reconnecting (quote "I would advise leaving your equipment powered up as much as possible to allow more Delta reports to be conducted. This is the only way the speed will increase".)

So I stopped rebooting the router and my stable rate went up shortly after, albeit only from 500 to 1000 (which was the speed I was getting before I was Maxed).
slytuk
Grafter

Stable rate too low...

Ahh crap - so all this time Ive been doing the wrong thing ?!?

Can someone else confirm ?

This page http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate tells you specifically to disconnect !!

This page says this for me->

Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 3000 Kbps

What does this speed mean?
This is the speed that the network supplier is telling us you should expect on your line. If your hardware is reporting higher speeds, you can try and automatically update this speed by disconnecting and reconnecting once a day for 3 days.
Alecto
Grafter

Stable rate too low...

Multiple disconnects in a short time cause it to think that the line is going down amd are therefore bad.
But disconnecting at the end of each day (as many people do when they turn the computer off for the night) is desirable as the thing needs three disconnects before it recognises that your rate has gone up.

Nothing is perfect though, and this doesn't always work for everybody, so it may take longer than three days.. General view is though that it's the right thing to do.
slytuk
Grafter

Stable rate too low...

When you guys "disconnect" do you just pull out the power for a few seconds ?

I leave my compy on 24/7 so Im only rebooting because Plus said it would help.

Also I notice the "FAQ" sticky appears to have been removed now...

..perhaps they were telling us the wrong thing anyway
N/A

Stable rate too low...

Somewhat confusingly I have now been told by PN to try disconnecting again.

"If you reboot your router once a day and the synchronisation speed is consistent, then the download speed will increase after about 3 days."

So lets see if that helps...
shellsong
Grafter

Stable rate too low...

I have seen it said by the allegedly knowledgeable that a 20-30 minute disconnect is a good idea at 2-3 day intervals during the training period so maybe the same sort of disconnect period would be best under the circumstances you're talking about

(DISCLAIMER: I am NOT talking from experience! Wink )