cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable rate con

N/A

Stable rate con

My stable rate is reading 8000, my line is syncing at 3872 and according to BT speed test my line profile is 2000. I know I can not possibly have a rate of 8000. What is going on. Since being maxed it is all over the place. Is Plusnet stabe rate page just a con?

Peter
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Stable rate con

If you have a ticket open and having problems with BRAS vs StableRate, one of the things PN do is to fix the StableRate to 8000 thereby being sure the PN netowrk is not limiting you and so any 'speed control' is purely within the BT network (full Central pipes allowing.)

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Stable rate con

I'd like to have something that on my line! Most of the time I'm synched at 5000+ but because of an ongoing problem with the sync occasionally dropping to half speed, apparently because of an intermittently noisy phone line (I have a ticket open on this), I frequently find my stable rate is throttling my connnection.

For example, I'm currently synched at 5824 but have a stable rate of only 1500 which won't go up again for a couple of days (or more if I get more speed fluctuations) despite rebooting once a day, because of recent drops in speed and the stupid (imo) 3 day thing.

Just seen reply below and realise mine would still be throttled if I did have something like that. Hmmm.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
James
Grafter

Re: Stable rate con

My stable rate is reading 8000, my line is syncing at 3872 and according to BT speed test my line profile is 2000. I know I can not possibly have a rate of 8000. What is going on. Since being maxed it is all over the place. Is Plusnet stabe rate page just a con?

Peter
It's not a con. It's basically the speed restrictions that we are applying at our end. Your bRAS is currently set to 576, which is causing your slow speeds, presumably in account of the intermittent problem that you have been experiencing.

The stable rate was raised at this end to ensure that the problems you were seeing weren't at our end.
N/A

Stable rate con

Ok James what can we do about getting the Rate corrected? As occroding to Support in answer to ticket 20167661 there is no errors on my line. Something is not working correctly or I would not be seeing this problem.

Peter
N/A

Stable rate con

If a problem even temporary causes the BT equipment to set you at a lower rate, it generally takes about 2 - 3 days of connecting at the higher speeds to make their equipment take notice and increase your profiles.

It's basically a way to keep the line stable and not to increase it until it is SURE that you can connect at that rate.

Assuming you are syncing at a higher rate and the plusnet profile isnt lower, it should increase automatically in a day or so.
N/A

Stable rate con

James if this cannot be sorted out can you have taken off MAxDsl as I had a stable 2000 connection before I was Maxed.

Peter
James
Grafter

Stable rate con

If you want me to move you back to a fixed rate product, raise a ticket requesting it and I'll do it.
Community Veteran

Stable rate con

It's basically a way to keep the line stable and not to increase it until it is SURE that you can connect at that rate.

Really, the BRAS setting has nothing to do with the speed your modem syncs with the exchange. The speed is controlled purely by the target SNR. It is the SNR that determines if your line is stable and/or the error rate.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Stable rate con

Ok James I have raised a question here is the ticket number: 20318818

Peter
James
Grafter

Stable rate con

Hi Peter,

I've actioned that for you now.
N/A

Stable rate con

Thanks James any idea how long it will take?

Peter
James
Grafter

Stable rate con

Read the ticket!
N/A

Stable rate con

Thank you James.

Peter
James
Grafter

Stable rate con